Inter Milan Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of January 20

Adam DigbyFeatured ColumnistJanuary 20, 2014

Inter Milan Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of January 20

0 of 7

    Elsa/Getty Images

    Following on from last week’s tracker, Inter have still been relatively quiet on the transfer market and their loss to Genoa had fans clamouring for them to spend some money.

    New owner Erick Thohir is still insisting on selling first however, and given that the Nerazzurri currently have 30 players in their first team squad and another 28 on loan, it is hard to disagree.

    Their biggest need appears to be in attack, but they are having problems securing a deal for a striker, while Manchester United have made enquiries for a midfielder as the following pages show...

    - UPDATED FRIDAY JANUARY 24 -

Ricky Alvarez Discussing Inter Extension

1 of 7

    Giuseppe Bellini/Getty Images

    Inter forward Ricky Alvarez has been linked to moves away over the past month, but Italian transfer expert Gianluca Di Marzio revealed he was negotiating a new contract on Friday evening.

    Writing on his own website, the well-connected journalist said Nerazzurri director Piero Ausilio and Marcelo Simonian who represents the 25-year-old star met to discuss the matter.

    A deal until 2018 is expected to be announced soon for the player who has impressed this season under Walter Mazzarri.

Paolo Cannavaro Looking to Leave Napoli

2 of 7

    Salvatore Laporta/Associated Press

    Paolo Cannavaro is searching for a move away from Napoli and has been linked with a move to Inter, which would reunite him with former boss Walter Mazzarri.

    The defender has made just four appearances for his home-town club this season and his agent has told Radio Kiss Kiss that the 32-year-old is unhappy with the situation.

    “At this moment, anything can happen,” Gaetano Fedele said (via FootballItalia). “Paolo is a reserve at Napoli, and he doesn’t want to be that. We’re looking for a solution that everyone agrees upon."

Lazio Deny Having Contact with Inter for Hernanes

3 of 7

    Paolo Giovannini/Associated Press

    As they continue to search for midfield alternatives, Inter have been linked with a move for Lazio's Brazilian playmaker Hernanes.

    However, the President of the Rome based club Claudio Lotito told the Calciomercato (via FootballItalia)website that the Nerazzurri had not made enquires for the 28-year-old.

    “Have Lazio demanded €20m for Hernanes? This isn’t something worth talking about," Lotito told the Italian website. We have not set any demands. Contact with Inter? Hernanes is a Lazio player, that is all.”

Lavezzi Would Only Return to Napoli

4 of 7

    Giuseppe Bellini/Getty Images

    Paris Saint-Germain striker Ezequiel Lavezzi has refuted claims in La Gazzetta dello Sport that could be set to join Inter, insisting if he was ever to return to Italy, Napoli would be first choice.

    A move to the Nerazzurri would see him reunited with Walter Mazzarri who coached him at Napoli, but the Argentinean told Fox Sport Italy that the story simply isn't true.

    “Rumours are rumours, and that’s all they are,” he said.  “I am at PS-G and I feel good. I am not thinking about the market at the moment."

    "If Mazzarri were to call then I would answer, but I don’t know what his interest is. Napoli are always in my heart and if I were to return to Italy, then they would be my first choice."

     

Juventus Striker Mirko Vucinic to Arrive?

5 of 7

    Massimo Pinca/Associated Press

    On Monday morning, Sky Italia ran with a story that the Nerazzurri were seeking to secure a deal for Juventus striker Mirko Vucinic. The arrivals of Fernando Llorente and Carlos Tevez have left the 30-year-old in a reduced role and would seemingly be available. (as per FootballItalia)

    La Gazzetta dello Sport went a step further however, indicating the Nerazzurri were attempting to include Fredy Guarin into the deal, although it is unclear what role the Colombian might play in the champions' already packed midfield.

    That report was met with derision by Inter's leading Ultra group and they wrote an open letter to the club to make their displeasure clear. (Via FootballItalia) Meanwhile, Goal.com's Turin-based reporter Romeo Agresti correctly reported that as a result, Vucinic would be left out of the squad to face Roma in Tuesday's Coppa Italia tie.

Fredy Guarin to Manchester United Not Chelsea?

6 of 7

    Antonio Calanni/Associated Press

    Chelsea were believed to be interested in Inter midfielder Fredy Guarin, with The Times reporting that Jose Mourinho was pushing for a deal.

    President Thohir has admitted, per Sky Sports, that the 27-year-old is likely to move this month and wants to experience the Premier League, despite Inter wishing to hold onto him.

    “When there are great offers from big clubs, we have to take them into account,” the Indonesian said last week. “Above all, we can’t make a player stay when his heart is not in it, but at another club.”

    Rather than Stamford Bridge, Gianluca Di Marzio believes Old Trafford could be the Colombian’s final destination. The Sky Italia expert said on his own website that the clubs are "far apart" in agreeing a fee but that talks are ongoing.

Lazio Beat Inter to Nantes Striker Djordjevic?

7 of 7

    Darko Vojinovic/Associated Press

    French club Nantes have told the CalcioMercato website (via FootballItalia) that Filip Djordjevic is not moving to Inter this month.

    The 26-year-old is out of contract this summer, and reports this week hinted that the Nerazzurri had attempted to sign him but that is seemingly not the case.

    “Contact with Inter? No, we haven’t had any,” Director General Frank Kita said when questioned by the Italian site. “If they want him right now, they need to talk to us first.

    “At Nantes we think he’s already signed for Lazio. How will he do in Italy? Let us see him get there first and then we’ll know. In the meantime, he is a Nantes player."