With new owner Erick Thohir preaching patience, the immediate future of the Nerazzurri is difficult to understand. While they remain in touching distance of the Champions League places, it may prove tempting for the Indonesian investor to provide Walter Mazzarri with reinforcements this month.
He has seemingly insisted on sales first however, with Andrea Ranocchia appearing to be among those headed for the exit while the club have been told their pursuit of Alvaro Morata won’t lead anywhere
Rodrigo Palacio has been in impressive form up front, but with Diego Milito struggling for fitness and Mauro Icardi’s personal life interfering with his on-field performance, according to Gazzetta dello Sport (via Football Italia), a striker seems to be their primary objective.
Two familiar names are in the frame for that role and are revealed on the following pages.
Thursday's Italian press believed that the Nerazzurri were interested in a move for Real Madrid youngster Alvaro Morata, but agent Ernesto Bronzetti believes they have no chance of prising him away from the Spanish giants.
He told Mediaset (via FootballItalia) that "Ancelotti is crazy about Morata, and he’s in his plans for the future so much that, a few days, ago, he said no to a €20m offer from a team in England.”
It seems the Serie A club will need to find an alternative to the 21-year-old striker.
Looking to secure funds with which to buy players, Inter are looking to sell both Alvaro Pereira and Andrea Ranocchia this month according to Sky Italia (via FootballItalia).
Uruguayan Pereira is linked with a move to Sao Paolo, with the club looking to take him on loan for a €1 million fee. They would then have the option to the 28-year-old wing-back at the end of the season for a further €7m.
The Italian defender meanwhile has, according to the TV channel, been granted permission to speak with Borussia Dortmund. The player cost the Nerazzurri €18 million back in 2011 and the club will accept a loss, but so far the German side are believed to have only offered around €7m.
Widespread reports in Italy believe that full-back Danilo D’Ambrosio will definitely move to Inter, but it is still to be decided just when the deal will be completed.
Transfer website TuttoMercatoWeb claims the Torino defender, linked with a number of Serie A sides, will join the Nerazzurri either this month or in June, depending on whether the two clubs can find an agreement.
His contract with the Granata expires in June, meaning the 25-year-old would then be available on a free transfer, but Walter Mazzarri is reportedly keen to bring him in immediately.
With Porto midfielder Fernando set to extend his contract with the Dragons (via FootballItalia), the Nerazzurri are believed to have turned their attention to his countryman Hernanes.
Il Messegero reported on Tuesday morning that, despite the Brazilian seeking an extension, President Claudio Lotito is willing to entertain offers of between €16 and €18 million for the 28-year-old.
The Italo-Argentine seems unable to earn a regular place in the Saints line-up, and transfer guru Gianluca Di Marzio believes the Nerazzurri could be looking to bring him back to the peninsula.
Writing on his own website, the well-connected journalist said "from what I know, Southampton have said no to a loan." However, Di Marzio concluded that the Premier League side "would evaluate offers for the sale of the Italian that so far have not been submitted."
They may face competition from Fiorentina, though.
The injury to Giuseppe Rossi has left Vincenzo Montella short of options in attack. As a result, the 28-year-old Osvaldo has emerged as a target.
Following on from deals which saw Andrea Pirlo and Clarence Seedorf change sides at San Siro, the Milanese giants seem intent on doing business once again, according to Sky Italia.
Alessandro Matri has flopped since returning to childhood club Milan, but Inter believe he could be an alternative striker for them. Gianluca Di Marzio believes West Brom also remain in the hunt.
Offering out-of-favour midfielder Zdravko Kuzmanovic in exchange, Inter hope the Serbian will convince Adriano Galliani to end Matri’s time in Rossonero, while also hoping he can rediscover the form he showed at Cagliari and Juventus.