Yesterday we updated our fantasy rankings and here are some notes on running backs and rush defenses heading into Week 9:
- Bengals running back Cedric Benson has carried the ball 20-plus times in five games this season. However, he only has one 100-yard game (Week 5 vs Tampa Bay) and hasn't scored a rushing touchdown since Week 3. Meanwhile, this week's opponent (Pittsburgh) has allowed fewer than 60 rushing yards per game to lead the league.
- Speaking of Benson, he's the running back in our free fantasy football contest this week.
- After rushing for 100-plus yards against the Titans in Week 5, Cowboys running back Felix Jones has 31 rushing attempts for 89 rushing yards over three games.
- Kevin Smith and Jahvid Best had 12 carries each in the Lions' win over the Redskins. Smith (51) out-gained Best (48) by three yards. Best hasn't scored a touchdown or exceeded 100 yards from scrimmage in his past five games and faces the top-rated fantasy defense (Jets) against running backs this season.
- For the first time this season, Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles had more than 20 carries and made the most of the opportunity (177 rushing yards). This week, Charles and the Chiefs face the Raiders, who have allowed the fifth-most fantasy points to opposing running backs this season.
- Patriots running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis, a.k.a. The Law Firm, has scored a touchdown in five consecutive games. The Browns, this week's opponent, have allowed only one rushing touchdown on the season.
- Chargers running back Mike Tolbert has also scored in five consecutive weeks and has seven on the season. With the Chargers receivers so banged up, both Tolbert and rookie Ryan Mathews should get a decent amount of work this week.
- Eagles running back LeSean McCoy is one of the best dual-purpose backs in the league, but he has only one 100-yard rushing game (Week 2 at Detroit). This week, he faces the Colts, who have allowed four 100-yard rushers this season.
Here are the top 10 running backs for Week 9:
1. Adrian Peterson, Vikings (vs. ARI)
2. Michael Turner, Falcons (vs. TB)
3. LeSean McCoy, Eagles (vs. IND)
4. Darren McFadden, Raiders (vs. KC)
5. Arian Foster, Texans (vs. SD)
6. Ahmad Bradshaw, Giants (at SEA)
7. Jamaal Charles, Chiefs (at OAK)
8. Rashard Mendenhall, Steelers (at CIN)
9. LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers (at DET)
10. Ray Rice, Ravens (vs. MIA)
See our full top 40 running back rankings for Week 9.
Good luck in your Week 9 matchup(s) and in our Week 9 contest.