Big Ben Reality Check; Not What You Are Expecting To Hear
With so many calls to trade Ben Roethlisberger, I thought I would address the issue from the other side and try to impart a little common sense to the rabid masses.
1) The Charges (or lack thereof): Last time I looked, you were innocent until proven guilty - why not here? The DA in Georgia, along with the police and GBI, are about as impartial as you're going to get; this didn't happen in Pittsburgh or Ohio. He didn't get any favours in his backyard where he won 2 Bowls.
2) The DA: Now people want to read 'between the lines' at what the DA was saying. Did anyone read the police reports? Did you see what she claimed? If sounds as if he is the second coming of Jack the Ripper - he should be strung up by the thumbs...
Why wasn't he charged? Arrested? Request for DNA revoked? Put in handcuffs? Read him Miranda rights? Given a stern talking to...SOMETHING???!!! ANYTHING????
3) The NFL and The Rooneys: The NFL wants all the families to either go to the park on Sunday or tune in to the games on TV and they want to protect the image of the league...(i.e. It is all about money) Mr Rooney is the American Ambassador to Ireland - therefore he cannot be seen to be soft on an employee with a shady past. That is called politics. (But James Harrison is Ok, right...)
4) Role Models and Morality: Sorry folks, but if little Johnny has ANY professional athlete as a model for emulation, he's in trouble. Johnny will most likely NEVER be that player, and while it nice to dream and reach for the stars, it is THE PARENTS JOB to raise their own children and explain to them that PROFESSIONAL SPORTS are like ENTERTAINERS, not HEROES. It is a UNIQUE WORLD, which is completely unreal and something they will never experience...(once again, the odds are extremely slim)
REAL role models are the doctors, nurses, firemen, teachers, pilots et al. - which is what your child will probably grow up to be. The people who volunteer their time to help the needy, those who cure diseases, those who run women's shelters, dog rescues...not these overpaid, extremely muscled and aggressive men. You are asking society to raise your child, when you shake a finger and say, "Oh, what a terrible role model" - no, that is poor parenting.
I love my sports teams, but the lives these guys (and girls) lead isn't real - just like actors in Hollywood. They are there to ENTERTAIN us, in the ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY. ESPN is the Entertainment Sports Programming Network...how can it not get any clearer?
5) The Girl: Here's the final problem I have with all of this. She was were she wasn't supposed to be, doing what she wasn't supposed to. She had a history of doing this before. She followed Ben from club to club...I suppose she wanted to discuss the difference between a Cover 2 and a Cover 3, right? Sometimes we get ourselves in over our heads and we have no one to blame, but in today's world, "IT IS NEVER MY FAULT". In this case, it is a pro QB's fault. Ben is 28, single and well within his rights to pick up a 20 year old girl.
6) THE BOTTOM LINE: So, everyone is ready to be judge and jury and throw the book at Ben, even though NONE OF US know the facts of the case. (How boring is your life...)
There is ONE MAN who is charged with sifting through EVERYTHING and figuring out what needs to be done. Let me be clear about this:
IF BEN DID ANYTHING WRONG, HE SHOULD BE BROUGHT UP ON CHARGES AND TRIED LIKE ANYONE ELSE - HE SHOULD NOT CATCH A 'BREAK' BECAUSE OF HIS STATUS
I guess for whatever reason, people still want a pound of flesh, even though they don't really know what happened and even if it isn't your job to do that. Common sense isn't very common anymore, especially here...
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?