Mr. Davis, a Mindful Genius

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Mr. Davis, a Mindful Genius
Jamie Squire/Getty Images

This is my second article I have ever written so I decided I wanted to take a stance on one of the most controversial issues in Raiders' football. Mr. Davis knows what he is talking about and actually still is at the top of his game. 

Many people look at this carousel of coaches and think "Wow... Mr. Davis has no clue." He's looking for a coach that will utilize his franchise to the best of their ability and of which he thought (and correctly thought too) that none of these past coaches weren't able to do their job right. None of the coaches that Mr. Davis fired did anything for the franchise (especially the likes of Art Shell and Lane Kiffin. Norv Turner might have been able to do something if he stayed a bit longer.)

Other people look at the draft and think "jeez this old coot has really lost it." But look at the draft picks people judge him on. There's the 2009 draft where he picked good ole' DHB. Heyward-Bey would have fit in perfectly with the style of offense that Mr. Davis likes to have his offense run. Yes the likes of Crabtree and Harvin did better this season, but not necessarily with this offense. 

Then we go to the 2008 draft. Darren McFadden was a nominee for the Heisman. The majority of the "talking heads" said McFadden was going to do well for the Oakland Raiders, except being riddled with injuries thus far have hindered that. Mr. Davis didn't know McFadden would get turf toe his first year and not be able to play to the best of his abilities.

Then there's the biggest draft pick that everyone blames Mr. Davis on; Jamarcus Russell. Russell played so well in college that everyone knew he would go 1st pick in round 1. At that point the Raiders were lacking a strong quarterback to lead the offense. This pick is one of the most justifiable picks that Mr. Davis has done. No one knew that Russell wouldn't live up to his potential. 

But look at the picks that have just been amazing for the team. Good old Seabass. He is easily the best kicker in the NFL right now, but people fail to realize it. Then there's Nnamdi Asomugha, the best cornerback in the NFL. (A proven stat: 70% of the world is covered by water, the other 30% by Nnamdi Asomugha.) Then there are late round picks like Michael Bush, Lois Murphy, and Tyvon Branch. All three of these players really took off and played beyond their expected potential. 

Some people ask, "Why does Mr. Davis still stick with Russell when he knows he is a bust?" Honestly, Mr. Davis doesn't think he is a bust yet. Russell has had a similar starting career pattern to that of some greats (as seen on BR Report in another article) such as Steve Young and John Elway (eww). Jamarcus just needs time to learn to hone his skills

Everyone, Give Mr. Davis a break and trust in his wisdom. He has led the Raiders to 5 superbowls and numerous playoff games. I know in these dark times everyone questions the leadership, but you should trust that the people hire up know what they are talking about. Trust that Mr. Davis knows what he is talking about. 

Load More Stories

Follow Oakland Raiders from B/R on Facebook

Follow Oakland Raiders from B/R on Facebook and get the latest updates straight to your newsfeed!

Out of Bounds

Oakland Raiders

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.