Despite all the reports i'm sure everyone has seen on ESPN and published all around the net, yesterday came and went without Tom Cable being fired. So this leaves us with the question of if and when this is even going to happen?
There are plenty of pros and cons to Cable staying as our coach for 2010. But overall we have to realize that less Don Shula and the 1972 Dolphins no coach has truly led a perfect team. So shouldn't we take a step back and look at why the pros for Cable should outweigh the cons? Here we go....
1. He has the support of our players!! Can we honestly say that any of our coaches since the Super bowl run have really backed the coach? No. Our guys love this coach, plain and simple if Cable stays the team will 1000% no doubt about it play their asses for him.
2. He had the balls to bench Jamarcus!! I am sorry but had this been done sooner the Raiders would have won more than 5 games. After the season opener the team just stopped playin hard with him under center. Jamarcus is not the answer, get rid of him and if we cannot find a better QB than Gradkowski then start him. Jamarcus has better things to do than be our QB anyways like eat and go to vegas. I have even heard Jruss is considering a role on man vs food!
3. He beat quality opponents!! Four of our Five wins came against very good teams (Denver, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Cincinnati). And barring a horrible call from the refs in week one, a dropped pass by DHB, and the horrible play of Jruss we would have won at least seven games.
4. He isn't afraid to tell it how it is!! Cable was right when he said this could have been a playoff team if we had average to above QB play. We were very close in a few games that couldve pushed us up to a wild card spot however because we cannot live in a world of what-ifs, we are left wondering what could have been.
1. If you are an assistant coach and you backtalk Cable, you will get your jaw broken! Yeah so we do have a coach who is a tough guy and isn't afraid to say it or prove it. We are the Raiders for pete's sake. That is whats gonna happen from time to time.
2. Just Win Baby! Well we did that only 5 times this year and while we were close in a few games we weren't close enough, 5 just might not be enough Mr. Cable.
There are a few other things i'm sure should be on this list but it all boils down to what Al wants. And if he wants a fighting chance to seem some more glory before he goes well he needs to keep the jaw-breaking ballsy cable guy around. And you all know it.