
Greg Olsen Reports to Panthers Camp, Says Contract Holdout Would Be Unfair
Carolina Panthers tight end Greg Olsen showed up to training camp Tuesday in Spartanburg, South Carolina, because he didn't feel the timing was right for a contract holdout after general manager Dave Gettleman was fired last week.
David Newton of ESPN.com passed along comments from Olsen, who said he considered holding out before deciding he didn't want to create additional "chaos" around the organization.
"I just didn't think it was right for me to put my situation and my own personal best interest above that of the team," he said. "If I didn't show up here today and I caused a big stink, what would have come from that was not fair to everybody."
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Colts Release Kenny Moore

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup 🔮

Rookie WRs Who Will Outplay Their Draft Value 📈
Olsen is coming off a 2016 campaign in which he tallied 80 catches for 1,073 yards and three touchdowns. He's reached the 1,000-yard plateau in three consecutive seasons and has played all 16 regular-season games in all six years he's been with the Panthers.
The 32-year-old University of Miami product is set to rank sixth among tight ends in total cash for the 2017 season at $6.75 million, per Spotrac.
Newton noted Olsen is hoping to land a new deal that would land him closer to the top of that list—Jimmy Graham of the Seattle Seahawks is No. 1 at $10 million—but he didn't believe holding out was the right way to accomplish the goal given the circumstances.
"Obviously, we feel strong about where we were in those discussions," he said. "I'm also respectful of where the team comes and all those things considered."
That's great news for the Panthers, as the versatile tight end should once again slot into a high-volume role as Carolina attempts to bounce back from a disappointing 6-10 season after making it to the Super Bowl in 2015.

.png)





