Featured Video
Hard Knocks Episode 3 Preseason
ST. LOUIS, MO - DECEMBER 21: Stedman Bailey #12 of the St. Louis Rams prior to a game against the New York Giants at the Edward Jones Dome on December 21, 2014 in St. Louis, Missouri. (Photo by Michael Thomas/Getty Images)
ST. LOUIS, MO - DECEMBER 21: Stedman Bailey #12 of the St. Louis Rams prior to a game against the New York Giants at the Edward Jones Dome on December 21, 2014 in St. Louis, Missouri. (Photo by Michael Thomas/Getty Images)Michael Thomas/Getty Images

Stedman Bailey Waived by Rams: Latest Comments and Reaction

Matt FitzgeraldJun 7, 2016

The Los Angeles Rams waived wide receiver Stedman Bailey on June 7 with a non-football injury designation.

ESPN Insider Adam Schefter initially reported the news of Bailey's release, and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirmed the move.

Bailey was shot while sitting in a car in the Miami area in November 2015 and was struck twice in the head, but he has been working his way toward a return to the gridiron. The 25-year-old posted a video of himself running routes in April.

Although Bailey doesn't have an NFL home at the moment, he may not ultimately leave Los Angeles.

Per Around The NFL on Twitter, a team source told NFL Network's Steve Wyche that Bailey is expected to rejoin the Rams in a non-playing capacity if or when he does clear waivers.

On June 10, Bailey said, "I definitely feel like I have a chance to step back on the field and be able to continue playing football," per the Associated Press (via USA Today).

ESPN.com's Nick Wagoner provided further context for Bailey's future:

So despite his extraordinary efforts to get back onto the field as soon as possible, it appears Bailey is still a ways away from being able to play in the NFL again.

Los Angeles made a huge investment in its passing attack by trading up to draft California quarterback Jared Goff with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2016 draft. General manager Les Snead also brought in South Carolina receiver Pharoh Cooper as a fourth-round draft choice.

Bailey received a four-game suspension in 2014 for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances and served a four-game ban for a violation of the league's substance-abuse policy last year.

Those off-field issues contributed to Bailey's limited production of 59 receptions for 843 yards and two scores in three seasons, but his career outlook has taken a backseat to his well-being.

It's evident Bailey has made a positive enough impact with the Rams franchise beyond football for L.A. to want to keep him around even if he isn't playing this year.