Kate Hairopoulos of the Dallas Morning News provided comments from the elder Manziel, who said his son refused admittance to rehabilitation facilities twice over the past week. He doesn't think that paints a promising picture moving forward.
"I truly believe if they can't get him help, he won't live to see his 24th birthday," Paul Manziel said.
On Friday, Manziel's agent, Erik Burkhardt, announced he was parting ways with the signal-caller, per Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com.
The Browns star is back in the spotlight after ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley alleged he assaulted her and said "shut up or I'll kill us both" during an encounter last week, per Rebecca Lopez of WFAA News 8.
On Thursday, TMZ Sports spoke with Manziel, who denied the allegations and also confirmed his expectation to continue his football career amid the turmoil.
"I have great things coming ahead," he said. "I know I've been having fun but I just need to get my body right. I'm 100 percent committed to playing football."
Tom Withers of the Associated Press reported no charges were filed, and both Texas police departments that investigated last week's incident have closed their cases.
However, on Friday, Rebecca Lopez of WFAA TV reported Manziel was given a protective order that will keep him away from his girlfriend for two years and orders him to pay $12,000 in legal fees.
Manziel spent more than 10 weeks in a rehab facility that specialized in drug and alcohol rehabilitation early in 2015. He returned to the Browns for the team's offseason program and ended up appearing in nine games this past season.
Pat McManamon of ESPN.com reported earlier in the week that Cleveland is planning to release the troubled quarterback once the new league year begins in March. The report comes after a long and growing list of issues since being the Browns took Manziel with the 22nd pick in the 2014 draft.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!