So, let’s quickly take note of what we learned during the first week of the 2009 NFL football season:
• Adrian Peterson is an absolute beast.
• Tom Brady is still, well, Tom Brady.
• Jake Delhomme is still, unfortunately for Carolina, the same Jake Delhomme that we saw last year in the playoffs.
• The Ravens and Falcons, at least for one week, appear that they will pick up right where their turnaround 2008 seasons left off.
• Miami might not be in the same boat.
• Drew Brees and the Saints might have the most explosive offense we’ve seen in a loooong time. (You know, since the 2007 Patriots.)
• Jay Cutler is still the same reckless “gunslinger” that he was in Denver. He’ll have to cut down on the INTs and increase the TDs now that Brian Urlacher is out for the rest of the season.
There is more, as we always learn plenty from the first week of the NFL season.
But do we…really?
It often seems like the greatest disparity from week-to-week for individual teams comes between weeks one and two. In contrast to the preseason, now that each team has seen its starting lineup play an entire regular season game, legitimate and meaningful adjustments can be made.
In cities like Houston, Washington, and Arizona, among others, teams that fancy themselves as playoff threats will need to make adjustments before week two to avoid falling to 0-2.
In cities like San Francisco, Green Bay, and Dallas, the hope is that the positives from last week were not a mirage and that an auspicious 2-0 record is on the horizon.
We shall see.
As you get ready for another week of NFL action, we bring you our handy, dandy NFL TV Schedule and Point Spread post like we do every week. Each game is listed below with the date, kickoff time, TV network, announcers, point spread, over-under, and even a spread pick.
(Note: No, I do not keep track of how I do against the spread each week; honestly, I don’t care. Each pick below is just based on my gut instinct as I type up this post early in the week. I was 14-for-16 picking straight up last week though.)
A couple of quick things to keep in mind:
• All times are ET.
• Some games do not have all of the information filled in (i.e. a few games don’t have spreads yet and the announcer assignments have not yet been announced). I’ll update this post as soon as the information is available at the506.com.
• Point spread and over-under listings are as of Monday night, and obviously subject to change throughout the week. If you want updated point spread info, or some expert advice as you make your weekly picks, below are a few helpful links.
• DocSports: NFL Odds
• DocSports: NFL Picks
And with all that said, here is your mood music and the Week 2 TV schedule, point spreads, announcers, and picks.
NFL Week 2 Preview
TV Schedule – Announcers – Kickoff Times
Point Spreads – Over-Unders – Spread Picks
Houston Texans (0-1) at Tennessee Titans (0-1)
- Texans-Titans Date: Sunday, September 20
- Texans-Titans Time: 1:00
- Texans-Titans TV Network: CBS
- Texans-Titans Announcers:
- Texans-Titans Point Spread: Titans -7.5
- Texans-Titans Over-Under: 40.5
- Texans-Titans Pick: Houston may not win, but I see no way the Texans go down without a tooth-and-nail fight. This is a team under enormous pressure to win, and the Titans do not have an offense that will put up an extraordinary amount of points.
- Texans-Titans spread pick: Texans +7.5
Arizona Cardinals (0-1) at Jacksonville Jaguars (0-1)
- Cardinals-Jaguars Date: Sunday, September 20
- Cardinals-Jaguars Time: 1:00
- Cardinals-Jaguars TV Network: FOX
- Cardinals-Jaguars Announcers:
- Cardinals-Jaguars Point Spread: Jaguars -3.5
- Cardinals-Jaguars Over-Under: 42.5
- Cardinals-Jaguars Pick: This is a tough one. I am not a big fan of either one of these teams this season. Because the Cardinals have the best player on the field (Larry Fitzgerald) I’m picking them to cover. As to who will win, I say it’s a toss-up.
- Cardinals-Jaguars spread pick: Cardinals +3.
New Orleans Saints (1-0) at Philadelphia Eagles (1-0)
- Saints-Eagles Date: Sunday, September 20
- Saints-Eagles Time: 1:00
- Saints-Eagles TV Network: FOX
- Saints-Eagles Announcers:
- Saints-Eagles Point Spread:
- Saints-Eagles Over-Under:
- Saints-Eagles Spread Pick:
Oakland Raiders (0-1) at Kansas City Chiefs (0-1)
- Raiders-Chiefs Date: Sunday, September 20
- Raiders-Chiefs Time: 1:00
- Raiders-Chiefs TV Network: CBS
- Raiders-Chiefs Announcers:
- Raiders-Chiefs Point Spread:
- Raiders-Chiefs Over-Under:
- Raiders-Chiefs Spread Pick:
New England Patriots (1-0) at New York Jets (1-0)
- Patriots-Jets Date: Sunday, September 20
- Patriots-Jets Time: 1:00
- Patriots-Jets TV Network: CBS
- Patriots-Jets Announcers:
- Patriots-Jets Point Spread:
- Patriots-Jets Over-Under:
- Patriots-Jets Spread Pick:
Minnesota Vikings (1-0) at Detroit Lions (0-1)
- Vikings-Lions Date: Sunday, September 20
- Vikings-Lions Time: 1:00
- Vikings-Lions TV Network: FOX
- Vikings-Lions Announcers:
- Vikings-Lions Point Spread: Vikings -10.5
- Vikings-Lions Over-Under: 47
- Vikings-Lions Pick: Detroit is going to win a few games this year, but it’s not going to be this one. Adrian Peterson is just too good, and I expect Brett Favre to attempt a few more passes down the field than he did against Cleveland. Detroit may stay close in the first half, but like last week Peterson wears ‘em down in the end.
- Vikings-Lions spread pick: Vikings -10.5.
Cincinnati Bengals (0-1) at Green Bay Packers (1-0)
- Bengals-Packers Date: Sunday, September 20
- Bengals-Packers Time: 1:00
- Bengals-Packers TV Network: CBS
- Bengals-Packers Announcers:
- Bengals-Packers Point Spread: Packers -9.5
- Bengals-Packers Over-Under: 42
- Bengals-Packers Pick: The Packers are the better team and I think they will win, but the Bengals’ offense is good enough to cover. Especially after how they lost last week to Denver, I expect the Bengals to come out with some fire.
- Bengals-Packers spread pick: Bengals +9.5.
St. Louis Rams (0-1) at Washington Redskins (0-1)
- Rams-Redskins Date: Sunday, September 20
- Rams-Redskins Time: 1:00
- Rams-Redskins TV Network: FOX
- Rams-Redskins Announcers:
- Rams-Redskins Point Spread: Redskins -10.5
- Rams-Redskins Over-Under: 36.5
- Rams-Redskins Pick: The Rams just are not very good, and showed it last week against Seattle. Washington is another team, like Carolina, that is already desperate after only one week. In front of their home fans I think the Redskins win this one going away, carried by their defense.
- Rams-Redskins spread pick: Redskins -10.5.
Carolina Panthers (0-1) at Atlanta Falcons (1-0)
- Panthers-Falcons Date: Sunday, September 20
- Panthers-Falcons Time: 1:00
- Panthers-Falcons TV Network: FOX
- Panthers-Falcons Announcers:
- Panthers-Falcons Point Spread: Falcons -6.5
- Panthers-Falcons Over-Under: 43
- Panthers-Falcons Pick: The Panthers are in some big trouble with Jake Delhomme, and desperately need him to have a good game. He is a proud veteran and has a great running game to lean on. I would not be surprised to see the Panthers, with their backs already against the wall, win this game. Either way, I think they cover.
- Panthers-Falcons spread pick: Panthers +6.5.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-1) at Buffalo Bills (0-1)
- Buccaneers-Bills Date: Sunday, September 20
- Buccaneers-Bills Time: 4:05
- Buccaneers-Bills TV Network: FOX
- Buccaneers-Bills Announcers:
- Buccaneers-Bills Point Spread:
- Buccaneers-Bills Over-Under:
- Buccaneers-Bills Spread Pick:
Seattle Seahawks (1-0) at San Francisco 49ers (1-0)
- Seahawks-49ers Date: Sunday, September 20
- Seahawks-49ers Time: 4:05
- Seahawks-49ers TV Network: FOX
- Seahawks-49ers Announcers:
- Seahawks-49ers Point Spread: 49ers -1.5
- Seahawks-49ers Over-Under: 39.5
- Seahawks-49ers Pick: I am a huge fan of the 49ers this season, and their opening week road victory over the Cardinals was a perfect example of why. The Seahawks will be better this year, but the Rams made them look a lot better than they are last week. The 49ers win by at least a field goal.
- Seahawks-49ers spread pick: 49ers -1.5.
Baltimore Ravens (1-0) at San Diego Chargers (1-0)
- Ravens-Chargers Date: Sunday, September 20
- Ravens-Chargers Time: 4:15
- Ravens-Chargers TV Network: CBS
- Ravens-Chargers Announcers:
- Ravens-Chargers Point Spread:
- Ravens-Chargers Over-Under:
- Ravens-Chargers Spread Pick:
Cleveland Browns (0-1) at Denver Broncos (1-0)
- Browns-Broncos Date: Sunday, September 20
- Browns-Broncos Time: 4:15
- Browns-Broncos TV Network: CBS
- Browns-Broncos Announcers:
- Browns-Broncos Point Spread: Broncos -3.5
- Browns-Broncos Over-Under: 37.5
- Browns-Broncos Pick: I hate to say it, but this will probably be the ugliest game of the week. The Broncos stole one in Cleveland last year, and I think the Browns do the same thing this year. The Broncos were lucky last week, and the Browns stood toe-to-toe with Minnesota for a half. I say we see more of the first half Browns on Sunday.
- Browns-Broncos spread pick: Browns +3.5.
Pittsburgh Steelers (1-0) at Chicago Bears (0-1)
- Steelers-Bears Date: Sunday, September 20
- Steelers-Bears Time: 4:15
- Steelers-Bears TV Network: CBS
- Steelers-Bears Announcers:
- Steelers-Bears Point Spread: Steelers -3.5
- Steelers-Bears Over-Under: 37.5
- Steelers-Bears Pick: Jay Cutler threw 4 INTs on Sunday in the loss to the Packers. And on Monday we found out that Brian Urlacher is out for the year. But Pittsburgh is a 3.5 favorite in Soldier Field? The Steelers may win, but not by more than a field goal. I think Cutler has a solid rebound game and the Bears win outright.
- Steelers-Bears spread pick: Bears +3.5.
New York Giants (1-0) at Dallas Cowboys (1-0)
- Giants-Cowboys Date: Sunday, September 20
- Giants-Cowboys Time: 8:20
- Giants-Cowboys TV Network: NBC
- Giants-Cowboys Announcers: Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth
- Giants-Cowboys Point Spread: Cowboys -2.5
- Giants-Cowboys Over-Under: 44
- Giants-Cowboys Pick: I’m high on the Cowboys this year, and think that the loss of T.O. has been wildly overestimated. Dallas has a running game that rivals the Giants’, and a better corps of receivers than Eli Manning has. If Dallas can give Tony Romo time, they’ll be okay. I think they will, and that the Cowboys win by a field goal.
- Giants-Cowboys spread pick: Cowboys -2.5.
Indianapolis Colts (1-0) at Miami Dolphins (0-1)
- Colts-Dolphins Date: Monday, September 21
- Colts-Dolphins Time: 8:30
- Colts-Dolphins TV Network: ESPN
- Colts-Dolphins Announcers: Mike Tirico, Ron Jaworski, Jon Gruden
- Colts-Dolphins Point Spread: Colts -3.5
- Colts-Dolphins Over-Under: 42
- Colts-Dolphins Pick: The Colts will be without a proven No. 2 WR and have no running game to speak of. With the Dolphins coming off of a terrible loss, I think the Parcells-Sparano combo has them ready to play. I think the Dolphins actually win this game outright in front of their home fans on Monday night. They’ll certainly cover 3.5 points.
- Colts-Dolphins spread pick: Dolphins +3.5.