Fabio Coentrao has not played for Real Madrid in over two months and he's regularly linked with a move to the Premier League, yet new reports indicate that he won't be leaving the Bernabeu this winter.
The left-back was on the brink of a move to Manchester United over the summer and there are rumours that David Moyes would like to renew efforts to bring the 25-year-old to Old Trafford.
But what's the latest news about the Portuguese international?
We've been following all the transfer speculation right here. Read on for more!
For a full time line of past events, visit this link.
—LAST UPDATE: Wednesday, January 8—
Manchester United manager David Moyes has denied that Fabio Coentrao is close to signing for his side in January.
Reports that came out earlier this week suggested that the left-back was on the verge of joining the Premier League champions.
Elsewhere, it looks like Coentrao has returned to full training at the Bernabeu after a lengthy spell on the sidelines. He posted this picture of himself on Twitter on Wednesday, Jan 8.
Manchester United look set to miss out on signing Fabio Coentrao for the second consecutive transfer window.
According to the Guardian's Jamie Jackson, the defender has already agreed a deal with David Moyes' side but will not be allowed to leave Real Madrid in January.
"No players are leaving and we're not going to sign anyone," said manager Carlo Ancelotti. "The window is closed for us."
The reigning Premier League champions tried bringing the defender to Old Trafford on deadline day, but a switch failed to materialize due to a paperwork issue.
The botched move was reported to have reduced Coentrao to tears, as reported by Ben Jefferson in the Express last September.
However, as Jackson reports, there are hopes that Coentrao's agent, Jorge Mendes, will be able to convince Los Blancos to part with him this month.
In contrast to reports coming out in the Guardian, Fabio Coentrao has apparently been told he can leave Real Madrid.
These claims come from the Mirror's Simon Mullock, who wrote on Saturday:
Manchester United have been offered another chance to sign Real Madrid defender Fabio Coentrao.
But Coentrao has played only twice for Real this season and has been told by coach Carlo Ancelotti he can leave during the transfer window to protect his place in Portugal’s World Cup squad.
And his agent, Jorge Mendes, was last night trying to discover whether David Moyes is interested in a deal that would cost the champions £12million.
As seen on Transfermarkt, the left-back has actually played four times for the Bernabeu side this season, which exposes a few holes in the Mirror story above.
Coentrao has gone through a difficult few months after losing his father in November and injuring his hamstring while on international duty with Portugal. However, Goal.com are reporting that he is now back in full training.