The Portuguese defender has also had to deal with the death of his father, who passed away in November.
During the summer, Coentrao was linked with a move to Manchester United. Recently, there has been talk of a switch to the Premier League and a renewed contract at the Bernabeu—you can see a timeline of these events right here.
Will the 25-year-old still play for Los Blancos beyond January, or does a move to the Premier League beckon?
We'll keep you up to date on all the latest Coentrao news right here, so keep checking back for updates!
—LAST UPDATE: Monday, December 30—
According to the Daily Mail's Simon Jones, Manchester United have been encouraged to make a bid for Fabio Coentrao, with Real Madrid said to be willing to take a cut for the £25 million they paid for him in 2011.
The left-back came close to joining David Moyes' side on the last day of the summer transfer window but the move broke down, as reported on the BBC Sport website.
By the Daily Mail's reckoning the Portuguese international, "is eager to make a fresh start and a move to Old Trafford appeals."
The article also suggests that Coentrao has returned to training, following a lengthy spell on the sidelines.
However, a training update published yesterday on Realmadrid.com confirms that the player is still continuing with recovery from an injury that has kept him out of the side since November 2.
Fabio Coentrao wants to put 2013 behind him as he looks to the new year.
The Portuguese left-back has endured a difficult 2013/14 season so far, spending the majority of the La Liga campaign on the sidelines for Real Madrid.
This week, he told Abola, via Inside Spanish Football:
I just want to forget about this year and I have good reasons for that. I've been through seven months of suffering. As my head hasn't been right, the rest of my body hasn't either.
I want to get myself back to full strength, help Real Madrid achieve their objectives and for Portugal to at least reach the level we did in the 2010 World Cup.