Barcelona Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of December 9
It's not too long to wait now until the chaos of the January transfer window begins.
Traditionally quieter than its summer counterpart, this one could buck the trend with a number of teams underperforming as we reach the halfway point in the season.
A sale or purchase here or there could see a domino effect throughout Europe during the window, and after a dismal couple of results, Tata Martino might be tempted to do business for Barcelona.
Let's take a look at the latest transfer rumours, and remember to keep checking back throughout the week for any updates.
Last update: Saturday, December 14
It's hardly a surprise, but still disappointing, that Antonio Sanabria has made it clear he is leaving Catalonia, with his agent declaring that a deal is close with English Premier League leaders Arsenal.
Barcelona have tried their best to keep hold of the highly rated 17-year-old however the players' need for top level football has ensured that a move away was always the most likely course of action.
Representatives of both clubs will meet shortly to finalise the transfer which is likely to cost the Gunners around €300,000 rather than the previously reported €3 million.
According to Spanish TV show Tiki-Taka (h/t International Business Times), Luiz has told friends and family that he will be playing for Barca and that a £25 million has already been agreed by both clubs.
Luiz will compete with Marc Bartra, Carles Puyol, Javier Mascherano and Gerard Pique for a regular berth at the heart of the Barca defence, and will be expecting to get games after only five appearances under Jose Mourinho this term.
Despite the player acknowledging a lack of minutes under Tata Martino is not ideal, he is still content in Catalonia. David Wright of the Daily Express noted Tello as saying:
I am content at Barcelona but we still have not advanced in the negotiation deal. It is normal that I desire more minutes in the team. I want to profit on my opportunities this season.
I do not need to demonstrate anything on the pitch because the coach knows how I am at this club.
Carlos Gilberto Nascimento Silva "Gil"
The player would be available for a bargain €15 million, half the fee being quoted for Chelsea's David Luiz, and would therefore be worthy of further consideration.
Nick Lustig of the Daily Star reports that the West London club are ready to cash in on a defender that doesn't feature in Jose Mourinho's future plans.
Tata Martino is keen to strengthen owing to Gerard Pique's poor form and Carles Puyol's susceptibility to injury, and feels Luiz will provide the solution to his problems in the central defensive area.
A £3 million release clause will first have to be met before the player is given permission to talk with other clubs, but it appears to be a foregone conclusion that the youngster will now leave Barca in this January window.
Cuadrado, who has been compared to Ronaldinho in the past, has been an integral part of La Viola's success so far this season and seems content to stay in Italy—for now:
Barcelona interest? I have no contacts and the club has said nothing to me.
Every player works to progress and play in big teams, but my mind says Fiorentina and I'm very happy here.
Then we'll see what happens in the future. I only think to work hard and improve; I still have room for improvement.
After a poor performance against Cartagena in the Copa Del Rey, Alex Song could be on his way out of Barcelona for a cut-price £10 million.
Lustig's report goes on to detail the Catalans' willingness to now do business for a player who has never really settled at Camp Nou. Song himself said:
I do not know what will happen in the future.
But it is true that I spent some fantastic seasons there [at Arsenal].
We will see what happens, but for now I'm a Barcelona player.
Robin Van Persie
David Moyes has completely denied the story, per Sky Sports, and the Reds will do everything in their power to hang onto their star striker.
However, the Brazilian is tied to the Catalans until 2015, and El Mundo Deportivo (h/t Sky Sports) report that Alves is perfectly content to stay put:
Today, I say that Barcelona are content with my work and they are positive, as am I.
If I sign a deal, I fulfil the contract as long as the two parties are happy.
But I live day to day and year to year. It is a pleasure that the big European clubs are interested in my work but for now, I am very happy here, I am very clear.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!