India Cricket logoIndia Cricket

Cricket Quotebook: Jonty Rhodes, Yuvraj Singh, Dean Jones Et Al

Linus FernandesAnalyst IIOctober 23, 2011

Cricket Quotebook: Jonty Rhodes, Yuvraj Singh, Dean Jones Et Al

Jonty Rhodes, Dale Steyn, Dean Jones, Shane Warne and Yuvraj Singh all have a mouthful of words on different topics in this cricketing edition of "What They Said, Really Meant and Definitely Did Not."

Rhodes says 'No' to Bollywood.

Steyn has heat in store for Philip Hughes.

Jones innovates in describing Virender Sehwag's approach to batting.

Warne is laughing up Liz Hurley's sleeve.

And Yuvi turns the tables with words.

Jonty Rhodes Won’t Sing nor Dance

“Bollywood actors sing and groove. I know my limitations. I don’t sing, I don’t dance, nor do I have the looks of a hero—it’s zero out of three for me.”

Former South African cricketer and Mumbai Indians fielding coach is not Bollywood hero material.

Rhodes was celebrated for his dare-devilry on the field but the idea of appearing in an Indian pot-boiler gives him the heebie-jeebies.

Rhodes,however, disclosed his eagerness to meet model Poonam Pandey:

“A lot of people were waiting to see the show that she was going to put on for the Indian team. I, too, had put my hand up for that. If she needs a little practice or wants someone to advise her, I’d be happy to help… as a father figure.”  *wink**wink*

“I can fly, though. I wonder why Shah Rukh Khan didn’t come calling for ‘Ra.One’.”

“I’m all jaunty about acting.”

Dean Jones Is Conscientious in Deciphering Inexplicable Virender Sehwag

“He has no conscience when he bats and plays the hardest stroke for any batsman with complete ease.”

Former Australian batsman and commentator, Dean Jones, attempts to explain Virender Sehwag’s uncomplicated approach to batting.

“The ball is there to be hit and Sehwag hits it. No second thoughts, no second guessing.”

“If batting’s a crime, then Sehwag is it’s ‘Jack The Ripper’.

Dale Steyn Will Not Burn Himself with Philip Hughes’ Frying Pan

One of the things we said was that we didn’t want to bowl wide to him, and then we did. It was one of those childish things where you say to a kid, ‘don’t touch the frying pan, you’re going to burn yourself’, and then you end up touching the frying pan and burn yourself. The English side found a way of getting him out, and quite easily getting him out, so I will go through those videos. I’m a little bit wiser, a little bit smarter now.

South African pace spearhead, Dale Steyn, points out that he is much wiser now, unlike in 2009 when he allowed Australian opener, Philip Hughes, to collar the bowling and score a brace of tons in his debut series.

Hughes has struggled ever since once English bowlers discovered that he was uncomfortable against anything targeted at his ribcage. Hughes recently made a successful comeback under Michael Clarke in Sri Lanka scoring a century in the final Test and averaging 40.40. South Africa face Australia at home in a curtailed two match series.

Steyn said:

”Obviously he opens the batting for Australia, so anybody who is a good player can score runs somewhere along the line, but he will definitely have his weaknesses. We haven’t played a lot against him since then, so I will have to go through a couple of things and see where we went wrong and hopefully we can rectify that.”

The No. 1 fast bowler in the world had only words of praise for Hughes’ predecessor, Simon Katich:

The way he moves around the crease, he is able to control where he wants to hit the ball. It’s incredible.

It’s surprising that he is not there because he is one of those real Aussie players, a gutsy, strong character. He even looks like the epitome of an Australian opening batsman from years back. In a weird way I’m quite happy he’s not playing, but you want to compete against guys like that, and for his sake I think he should be there.

Katich has been dropped from the side—a victim of Australian selectors’ youth policy.

“Recall how we handled Virender Sehwag the last time India toured here;Hughes is a poor Australian’s  version of the Delhi Butcher.”

“I never heard of mental disintegration.”

Yuvraj Singh Is Not Testing with His Words

“The English media and the players have spoken too much. So what goes around comes around. The players should be careful with what they say.”

Yuvraj Singh is unable to hide his glee at the turnaround in the Indian cricket team’s fortunes.

The return ODI series against England at home was clinched in convincing fashion with the first three one-dayers going Team India’s way.

“One English summer does not make a season.”

“It’s not Test cricket, is it?”

Shane Warne Is All Giggly with Liz Hurley

“I’m sure she giggles with me and not at me.”

Shane Warne and Elizabeth Hurley have not yet set a date for the marriage vows but have decidedagainst a pre-nuptial agreement.

Warne said:

There has not been one chat about what date, where, anything like that. It hasn’t been brought up once. We’re in no rush to marry. We’re a bit romantic and old-school and are enjoying being engaged for a while. We just want to live our life at the moment and see how that goes. We’re enjoying each other, she makes me laugh.

The high-flying couple recently announced their engagement.

“If our romance is a comedy, let’s laugh together.”

“Just call us ‘Giggles’.

Where can I comment?

Stay on your game

Latest news, insights, and forecasts on your teams across leagues.

Choose Teams
Get it on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Real-time news for your teams right on your mobile device.

Download
Copyright © 2017 Bleacher Report, Inc. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved. BleacherReport.com is part of Bleacher Report – Turner Sports Network, part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Network. Certain photos copyright © 2017 Getty Images. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of Getty Images is strictly prohibited. AdChoices