Andy Roddick and Others: What They Said, Really Meant and Definitely Did Not

Linus Fernandes@mktimeforsportsAnalyst IISeptember 11, 2011

Andy Roddick and Others: What They Said, Really Meant and Definitely Did Not

Andy Roddick, Serena Williams , David Ferrer and John McEnroe sound off in five quotable quotes (and a bonus) at the US Open.

Andy Roddick is all for player power.

Serena Williams is extra cautious about where her feet go.

David Ferrer is not nostalgic for his junior tennis days and John McEnroe has words of advice for Caroline Wozniacki.

Here's what they said, really meant and definitely did not.

Andy Roddick Talks Money

“13 percent of total revenue?  I’ll let you write your story.”

Andy Roddick does not shy from articulating that players feel that they need a bigger say in how tournaments are run (and how much money they receive).

“You have the facts and figures. Go figure.”

“If the players received less money, then maybe Arthur Ashe could put up a new roof and quick.”

Andy Roddick Negotiates at the US Open

"I have been trying to tell people that talent normally wins in negotiations."

Andy Roddick believes it’s time players banded together to form a union. This would ensure that commercial interests do not override players’ welfare.

“Tournaments aren’t money spinners when they lack star players.”

“Negotiations are as easy as serving aces.”

Andy Roddick Is Baffled

"I’m baffled, I’m baffled. Why are we out here?"

Andy Roddick is none-too-pleased with having to take the court on a wet day in Queens, New York.

Roddick, in his interview later, clarified:

I was surprised the second time we got called out.  We walked back there and it was wet, so I couldn’t quite figure out why we were called out.  I even said it’s coming from under.  It’s not something you can dab a towel on and make it go away.  I watched the monitors, and they were dabbing towels on it the entire time. Then they called us back out, and we walked right over it and it was wet.  I could not believe what I was looking at.  I mean, puts us in a little bit of an uncomfortable position, too, because obviously, you know, we want to play and stuff.  But it’s still there, dude.

“We should be chiming "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head" instead.”

“I love wet balls.”

David Ferrer Is Sore

"It was not nice playing on Court 13, but it was nice when you are junior, no?"

David Ferrer points out how far he’s come since his junior days. The expectations differ and he’s not quite pleased with having to play on the side courts at the US Open. Ferrer succumbed to Andy Roddick in the fourth round.

“When we were younger, we didn’t know better. Besides, I lost. Do you really expect me to be singing paeans of praise?”

“Ah! For those glorious junior days!”

Serena Williams Is Very, Very Careful

What she said:

"I always go out wearing either shoes that cover all my foot or most of it. I’m serious."

Serena Williams does not want a recurrence of the freak leg injury she suffered last year that kept her out of circulation on the tennis circuit.

What she really meant:

“These boots are not just meant for walking. Naked feet give me terrible deja vu.”

What she definitely didn’t:

“Closed pairs are sexy.”

John McEnroe Cannot Be Serious

"She can’t even throw her racket down hard enough. Got to work on that."

John McEnroe joins the band of experts proffering advice to women’s No. 1 , Caroline Wozniacki, during her straight sets capitulation to Serena Williams in the US Open semifinals.

“It’s funny how everything seems wrong (to others) when you’re not winning.”

“Why doesn’t she just yell at the linesman or referees my famous line: ‘You cannot be serious.’ I waive all copyrights.”