September 7, 2011 is a date that UFC welterweight contender Carlos "The Natural Born Killer" Condit may never forget.
Eating lunch at his favorite restaurant in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Condit received a phone call from UFC President Dana White. He was told that he had been offered the title opportunity vacated after Nick Diaz's bizarre behavior. Condit broke down in tears of elation.
Speaking with Megan Olivi from Heavy.com, Condit discussed his thoughts on Diaz, the current UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and his title opportunity at UFC 137.
When asked about the media expectations associated with competing in the world's largest mixed martial arts promotion, Condit said he understands that this is a necessary component of the sport.
"It’s just part of it. Especially at this level. If you want to be a champion in the biggest organization, you have to do it. If not, if you’re not ready to handle it, then you’re not ready to be a champion," Condit stated.
Originally scheduled to face BJ Penn at UFC 137, the switch of Condit's opponent does not mean that "The Natural Born Killer" would not like to face "The Prodigy" at some point in his career.
"B.J. Penn is a great fighter and has a great legacy in the sport. That would definitely be a win that I would want on my record," explained Condit.
Already training for Penn, Condit believes that St-Pierre's style will be similar to that of "The Prodigy."
"I was training for BJ, who has great stand-up and a great ground game. He would probably have tried to take me down and impose his ground game against my wishes. It’s similar to what Georges is going to try to do. So the approach to both of them would be similar," Condit said.
With 13 knockout and 13 submission victories with only one decision in 27 professional fights, Condit is known for finishing his opponents. Conversely, St-Pierre has been under much scrutiny lately for not finishing his fights.
"I’m always been motivated to finish my opponents. That’s just the way that I fight. I think that’s something that’s definitely going to be in his head when he’s game-planning for me," Condit stated regarding St-Pierre's preparation for UFC 137.
Always humble, Condit then when on to state that GSP has "fought a lot of very tough guys and a lot of very dangerous guys... He’s very, very dangerous."
With UFC 137 roughly six weeks away, Condit is confident in his abilities to walk out of the Mandalay Bay Events Center the new UFC welterweight champion.
"It’s going to be an entertaining fight. I’m not stepping into this fight to say that I fought Georges or to say that I fought for the title. I’m stepping into this fight to beat Georges and take that title. I’m going to use every one of my tools and all of the weapons in my arsenal to make that a reality," Condit confidently stated.
Clearly Condit is fully preparing to give Georges St-Pierre an absolute challenge inside the Octagon on October 29.
Stay tuned to Bleacher Report for updates and analysis as the event nears closer.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!