Now talk has risen about what Hendo could do inside the UFC. Would he tear up the light heavyweight division and beat current champion Jon Jones? Would he just flounder inside the light heavyweight division and try and make a run at middleweight?
Well, UFC president Dana White talked about Hendo at the pre-UFC 133 press conference.
"We'll see what happens," White said following Thursday's pre-UFC 133 press conference. "'Hendo' and I have had some history in dealings. We'll see if we can figure something out and get him back in the UFC."
Henderson wouldn't be the first former Strikeforce champion to leave the promotion. Nick Diaz was sent over to the UFC and is currently training to fight current UFC welterweight champion, Georges St-Pierre at UFC 137. Also, former Strikeforce heavyweight champion, Alistair Overeem, and former Strikeforce women's 135 lb. champion, Marloes Coenen, were cut in the last week from the promotion.
White made one thing clear: the latest moves weren't signs that Strikeforce is nearing it's end as a separate promotion.
"What we said about Strikeforce is the thing has to run like a business," White said. "If we can run this thing, and the thing isn't losing a ton of money, then Strikeforce will stay alive and be rebuilt, and we'll see what happens."
Henderson was last seen in the UFC sending Michael Bisping to the mat unconscious at UFC 100 in July of 2009. Henderson was 3-2 in his second stint in the UFC and his only losses are title fights against current middleweight champion, Anderson Silva, and former UFC light heavyweight champion, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.
Henderson previously fought at UFC 17 and won the middleweight tournament by beating Allan Goes, and then beating Carlos Newton in the finals.