Reports from Brazil have officially confirmed that the transfer deal between Manchester City and Corinthians for Carlos Tevez will not be finalized by the time the Brazilian transfer window closes, and that the Argentine striker will not be returning to his former club after all.
As reported by Sky Sports and BBC Sport, the transfer window in Brazil officially ends at 4 am BST, making a move essentially impossible to the Brazilian club, who called off the transfer on their website on Wednesday.
The official announcement said, "The board of Sporting Club Corinthians hereby officially announce the impossibility of hiring the Argentine striker Carlos Tevez."
The club added, "While acknowledging the efforts of Manchester City and all involved in the negotiation, more time is needed for the transfer to be achieved, given that the window to sign players from abroad closes on Wednesday, July 20."
While the deal may not have worked this time around, Corinthians also hinted at another attempt in January, saying, "We are aware of the dream our fans had of having this player at Corinthians again and we look forward to him being with us in the near future."
However, with more than a month left in the European transfer season, the failed attempt could result in Tevez moving to another side instead, with Inter Milan and Real Madrid both having been previously linked to the Argentine before Corinthians made their bid.
Tevez, who has expressed a desire to move back to South America to be closer to his family, would likely prefer to wait.
"My family, my kids are a long distance away from Manchester and if there is an option to go then it will be something to do with my family and children," he said in May. "It would be a personal decision rather than a professional one."
In any case, the Carlos Tevez transfer sage to Corinthians is officially over...for now. The only remaining question is whether or not a new storyline will surface to take its place.