NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Benches Clear in Fenway 🍿

Michigan Wolverines Still in the Hunt for 4-Star RB Greg Garmon; Other Updates

Zach DirlamJun 7, 2018

Running back is about the only position the Michigan Wolverines are struggling to find a top notch prospect to fill in their 2012 recruiting class, but the coaching staff received some good news from 4-star running back Greg Garmon (Erie, Pa.) last Friday.

Garmon, who is ranked as the No. 17 running back and No. 184 overall prospect on Rivals.com, trimmed his list of potential suitors and said the Wolverines still have a chance to receive his commitment.

"The schools that are still in it are Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, North Carolina, Virginia and a couple of other schools who just offered me and a couple more offers are coming," Garmon told Steve Hare of IrishIllustrated.com.

TOP NEWS

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: NOV 08 Texas A&M at Missouri

TAMU Lands No. 1 Safety

BR

Coach O Shades Brian Kelly 🤥

Best QB Seasons Since 2000 💪

The McDowell High School standout visited Michigan earlier this year and liked what he saw from head coach Brady Hoke and the Ann Arbor campus.

"It's really nice up there and I really love the recruiting class they have and who they got so far," Garmon said. "That's going to be big for me because they have a lot of good players and good offensive linemen. They're just waiting for a running back."

Another thing the Wolverines have going for them in their recruitment of Garmon is that no one on their current roster has emerged as a dominant running back. This could leave the door wide open for Garmon to play early at Michigan if he commits.

"I just want to get on the field and play early and try to make an impact," Garmon said.

Garmon did not announce when he will take another visit to Michigan but is planning a trip to multiple schools in the midwest soon. One of these schools is Notre Dame, which has yet to offer Garmon a scholarship.

"I'm actually going down there later this summer," Garmon said. "When I figure out when I'm going to Iowa and Illinois I'll stop at Notre Dame on the way back."

This could open the door for another trip to Michigan, but it is not a bad sign if Garmon decides not to stop by Ann Arbor on his way home considering how well his first visit went.

The Wolverines are also hoping to sign one wide receiver in their 2012 class and they believe 3-star wide receiver Monty Madaris (Cincinnati) is their guy.

TheWolverine.com reported last Friday that Michigan offered Madaris a scholarship. The Moeller High School star reportedly ran a 4.4 40-yard dash at Michigan State last week and also has offers from Florida, Nebraska, Florida State and Michigan State, among many others.

John Rodenberg, who is Moeller High's head coach, told Chris Balas of TheWolverine.com Sunday that Madaris will visit Michigan for the Barbecue at the Big House on July 31.

"He's excited about [the Michigan offer], though it is a later offer for him. He'll weigh it in against the others on his list, get up there on the 31st and visit," Rodenberg said. "It is something he's excited about, but he's got other offers to weigh it against."

Michigan jumping in the race for Madaris late is not likely to have a significant impact because Rodenberg believes his top receiver will not make a decision on his future until the end of fall.

"He's not going to make a decision until at least toward the end of the season," Rodenberg said. "Michigan is certainly going to get the opportunity to recruit him."

The Wolverines' decision to target Madaris this late in his recruitment likely means they do not believe they will eventually sign Rivals top 100 wide receiver Dwayne Stanford (Cincinnati).

The Taft High School wideout recently trimmed his list of top schools down to Ohio State, Cincinnati, North Carolina, Miami, LSU, Tennessee and Michigan.

Stanford visited Michigan back in June with his Taft teammate and No. 10 defensive end Adolphus Washington (Cincinnati).

The two are likely going to commit to the same school and Michigan will likely not have room for another defensive end in its 2012 class if it receives a commitment from 3-star defensive end Chris Wormley (Toledo, Ohio).

The Toledo Blade reported a few weeks ago Wormley was leaning toward committing to Michigan. There has been no evidence as of late that anything has changed so the Wolverines are just waiting for Wormley to make it official.

Finally, The Detroit Free Press reported last Thursday that Detroit Cass Technical High School teammates linebacker Royce Jenkins-Stone (Detroit) and cornerback Terry Richardson (Detroit) announced via Twitter they would be taking other visits but are still committed to Michigan.

The Fort on TheWolverine.com reported that Sunday, while Cass Tech head coach Thomas Wilcher said just the opposite.

"We talked about that and no, they aren't taking any visits," Wilcher said.

This is just proof you should not believe everything you read on Twitter and Wolverine fans who were worrying about the 4-star commits can rest easy for a while.

Check out my blog, Dirlam’s Dirty Dugout Sports Blog, which features this story along with other articles and video reports on the major sports. You can also follow my blog on Twitter, @DirtyDugoutBlog, which will provide you with the latest updates about what will be posted on the blog!

Benches Clear in Fenway 🍿

TOP NEWS

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: NOV 08 Texas A&M at Missouri

TAMU Lands No. 1 Safety

BR

Coach O Shades Brian Kelly 🤥

Best QB Seasons Since 2000 💪

2025 Cheez-It Citrus Bowl - Texas v Michigan

Sark Chirping Continues 💀

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: JAN 01 College Football Playoff Quarterfinal at the Allstate Sugar Bowl Ole Miss vs Georgia

NCAA Investigating Ole Miss

Kyle Busch's Cause of Death Released
Bleacher Report9h

Kyle Busch's Cause of Death Released

Family says NASCAR star's death occurred after 'severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis' (AP)

TRENDING ON B/R