Tennis Talkers: Djokovic,Andy Murray,Sharapova and Martina Navratilova

Tennis Talkers: Djokovic,Andy Murray,Sharapova and Martina Navratilova
Julian Finney/Getty Images

Novak Djokovic

"I don’t know why I ate the grass. I felt like an animal! I wanted to see how it tastes. It came spontaneously. I didn’t plan to do it. I didn’t know what to do in all my excitement and joy."

Novak Djokovic discovered a fresh way to celebrate his Wimbledon win on centre-court. He simply bit into the grass. An acquired taste, perhaps?

“I’m wild, I’m me, I’m inimitable, so I’d better relish my victory with a fresh, new dish for my palate. Pâté de Foie Grass!”

“If grass is for cows, I’m one.”

Novak Djokovic

Pool/Getty Images

"Well, I guess I have to keep on running."

Novak Djokovic is convinced that the only way to continue as No. 1 is to persist the same vein of form he has exhibited so far—this year.

What he really meant:

“If I’m the prey—rather than the hunter—I gotta run—and quick.”

What he definitely didn’t:

“I’ll walk—from here on.”

Andy Murray

Michael Regan/Getty Images

‘It’s hilarious. It happens three or four times a match. I don’t find it amusing.’

Andy Murray is not amused that some fans think it a gag to start a ‘Come on, Tim’ chorus whenever he plays at Wimbledon—an obvious reference to his predecessor Tim Henman, who made four Wimbledon semis without making a single final.

What he really meant:

“Aw, come on, chaps. Tim’s retired, besides he never got to a Slam final. I have three appearances.”

What he definitely didn’t:

“Now, you know why I grew a beard this year. I was hoping they wouldn’t recognise me and leave me alone.”

“You do know, it’s not called ‘Henman Hill’ anymore. 'Murray Mound’, it is!”

Julian Finney/Getty Images

Andy Murray

"I think it’s about time she stopped that nonsense. Makes me want to throw up. It’s disgusting,"

Andy Murray is disgusted that his mother, Judy, named his hitting partner and quarter-final opponent, Feliciano Lopez, ‘Deliciano’, a moniker that stuck. Murray embarrassed his mother by then telling Lopez that his mother thought him ‘beautiful’ and asked for a picture of them together.

What he really meant:

“You’re embarrassing me, Mother. Stop.”

What he definitely didn’t:

“Why couldn’t she come up with a nickname like that for me or Jaime?”

Michael Regan/Getty Images

Maria Sharapova

What she said:

“I don’t think I would allow that (laughter).”

Maria Sharapova does not tell her boyfriend Sasha Vujacic how to play basketball and likewise will not permit him to advise her on the intricacies of tennis.

What she really meant:

“I’m the tennis player—not Sasha.”

What she definitely didn’t:

“It’s rocket science.”

Martina Navratilova

Pool/Getty Images

What she said:

“It’s the way the game is played now. The two-hander will rule, no doubt in my mind. Unfortunately, it’s a beautiful thing that’s kind of passe.”

Martina Navratilova agrees that as the game progresses, it becomes harder for a player with a single-handed backhand to triumph against two-handed backhand players.

What she really meant:

“A single-handed backhand player? Soon to be extinct—a museum for him or her, perhaps?”

What she definitely didn’t:

“Federer still rules.”

Pool/Getty Images

Andy Murray

“If I’d known they were coming, I would have shaved (smiling). I was thinking to myself as I came off I was sweaty and very hairy. I said to them, I’m sorry, I’m a bit sweaty.”

Andy Murray was unaware that the Royal Couple, Prince William and Kate Middleton, would grace his fourth-round match against Richard Gasquet. He would have shaved his straggly beard—had he known.

What he really meant:

“Grimy, sweaty, beardy, and now I have to curtsey?”

What he definitely didn’t:

“Where’s my Gilette razor deal? Do I have to shave on-court to get one?”

Quote of the day:
The big thieves hang the little ones. - Czech Proverb

Out of Bounds

Tennis

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.