2011 WimbledonDownload App

Tennis Talkers: Djokovic,Andy Murray,Sharapova and Martina Navratilova

LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 03:  Novak Djokovic of Serbia celebrates after winning his final round Gentlemen's match against Rafael Nadal of Spain on Day Thirteen of the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club on July 3, 2011 in London, England.  (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)
Julian Finney/Getty Images
Linus FernandesAnalyst IIOctober 6, 2016

Novak Djokovic

"I don’t know why I ate the grass. I felt like an animal! I wanted to see how it tastes. It came spontaneously. I didn’t plan to do it. I didn’t know what to do in all my excitement and joy."

Novak Djokovic discovered a fresh way to celebrate his Wimbledon win on centre-court. He simply bit into the grass. An acquired taste, perhaps?

“I’m wild, I’m me, I’m inimitable, so I’d better relish my victory with a fresh, new dish for my palate. Pâté de Foie Grass!”

“If grass is for cows, I’m one.”

Novak Djokovic

LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 03:  2011 Wimbledon Champion Novak Djokovic of Serbia speaks at a press conference after winning his final round Gentlemans' match against Rafael Nadal of Spain on Day Thirteen of the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships at the All E
Pool/Getty Images

"Well, I guess I have to keep on running."

Novak Djokovic is convinced that the only way to continue as No. 1 is to persist the same vein of form he has exhibited so far—this year.

What he really meant:

“If I’m the prey—rather than the hunter—I gotta run—and quick.”

What he definitely didn’t:

“I’ll walk—from here on.”

Andy Murray

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND - JULY 08:  Andy Murray of Great Britain in action against Laurent Bram of Luxembourg during the Davis Cup tie between Great Britain and Luxembourg at the Braehead Arena on July 8, 2011 in Glasgow, Scotland.  (Photo by Michael Regan/Gett
Michael Regan/Getty Images

‘It’s hilarious. It happens three or four times a match. I don’t find it amusing.’

Andy Murray is not amused that some fans think it a gag to start a ‘Come on, Tim’ chorus whenever he plays at Wimbledon—an obvious reference to his predecessor Tim Henman, who made four Wimbledon semis without making a single final.

What he really meant:

“Aw, come on, chaps. Tim’s retired, besides he never got to a Slam final. I have three appearances.”

What he definitely didn’t:

“Now, you know why I grew a beard this year. I was hoping they wouldn’t recognise me and leave me alone.”

“You do know, it’s not called ‘Henman Hill’ anymore. 'Murray Mound’, it is!”

LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 01:  Andy Murray of Great Britain returns a shot during his semifinal round match against Rafael Nadal of Spain on Day Eleven of the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club on July 1, 2011
Julian Finney/Getty Images

Andy Murray

"I think it’s about time she stopped that nonsense. Makes me want to throw up. It’s disgusting,"

Andy Murray is disgusted that his mother, Judy, named his hitting partner and quarter-final opponent, Feliciano Lopez, ‘Deliciano’, a moniker that stuck. Murray embarrassed his mother by then telling Lopez that his mother thought him ‘beautiful’ and asked for a picture of them together.

What he really meant:

“You’re embarrassing me, Mother. Stop.”

What he definitely didn’t:

“Why couldn’t she come up with a nickname like that for me or Jaime?”

LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 03:  Martina Navratilova of the USA (partnered by Jana Novotna of the Czech Republic) looks on during the Ladies' Invitation double match against Martina Hingis of Switzerland and Lindsay Davenport of the USA on Day Thirteen of the
Michael Regan/Getty Images

Maria Sharapova

What she said:

“I don’t think I would allow that (laughter).”

Maria Sharapova does not tell her boyfriend Sasha Vujacic how to play basketball and likewise will not permit him to advise her on the intricacies of tennis.

What she really meant:

“I’m the tennis player—not Sasha.”

What she definitely didn’t:

“It’s rocket science.”

Martina Navratilova

LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 02:  Maria Sharapova of Russia returns a shot during her Ladies' final round match against Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic on Day Twelve of the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club
Pool/Getty Images

What she said:

“It’s the way the game is played now. The two-hander will rule, no doubt in my mind. Unfortunately, it’s a beautiful thing that’s kind of passe.”

Martina Navratilova agrees that as the game progresses, it becomes harder for a player with a single-handed backhand to triumph against two-handed backhand players.

What she really meant:

“A single-handed backhand player? Soon to be extinct—a museum for him or her, perhaps?”

What she definitely didn’t:

“Federer still rules.”

LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 01:  Andy Murray of Great Britain attends a press conference after defeat in his semifinal round match against Rafael Nadal of Spain on Day Eleven of the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet
Pool/Getty Images

Andy Murray

“If I’d known they were coming, I would have shaved (smiling). I was thinking to myself as I came off I was sweaty and very hairy. I said to them, I’m sorry, I’m a bit sweaty.”

Andy Murray was unaware that the Royal Couple, Prince William and Kate Middleton, would grace his fourth-round match against Richard Gasquet. He would have shaved his straggly beard—had he known.

What he really meant:

“Grimy, sweaty, beardy, and now I have to curtsey?”

What he definitely didn’t:

“Where’s my Gilette razor deal? Do I have to shave on-court to get one?”

Quote of the day:
The big thieves hang the little ones. - Czech Proverb

Where can I comment?

Stay on your game

Latest news, insights, and forecasts on your teams across leagues.

Choose Teams
Get it on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Real-time news for your teams right on your mobile device.

Download
Copyright © 2017 Bleacher Report, Inc. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved. BleacherReport.com is part of Bleacher Report – Turner Sports Network, part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Network. Certain photos copyright © 2017 Getty Images. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of Getty Images is strictly prohibited. AdChoices