We’re putting out our college football poll with just under two months to go. It may be a little early, but I’m sick of lockout talk with the NFL and NBA so let’s focus on a sport we’re sure will be playing come Labor Day weekend 2011!
Just some random thoughts on the Macho Rhino Top 25:
- Alabama is No. 1 because they look to be the class of the SEC, college football’s best conference that’s claimed five straight BCS titles.
- Oregon looks like they’ll have a tremendous offense once again, but have some holes on defense to fill. Will the recruiting scandal be a distraction or will it get resolved by their opener?
- There isn’t a Big Ten team in the top 10 largely due to the Ohio St. turmoil. This is a team still with a lot of talent. Jim Tressel had great recruiting classes, but he’s gone and can Luke Fickell keep this team focused this year? They could be the Big Ten elite, but I see the tremendous offseason changes as a distraction and making them a middle-of-the-pack team.
- TCU lost a great senior class, but has young players ready to step in. Gary Patterson is a tremendous coach and seems confident his young guys can keep things going.
- Boise State once again looks to have a BCS-caliber team. Will the move to the Mountain West strengthen their case? They have to hope TCU has a great season and sets up a showdown game for them this season.
Without further ado, here are our top 25 college football teams heading into the 2011 season.
The Macho Rhino Top 25 – Week 1 (Preseason)
Who's Your #1?
5. Boise State
6. Texas A&M
7. Florida State
8. South Carolina
10. Oklahoma State
14. Notre Dame
15. Mississippi State
17. West Virginia
18. Virginia Tech
19. Arizona State
20. Michigan State
25. Ohio State
10 More Worth Watching
- Miami (FL)
- San Diego State
- Air Force