Quote Misquote: Maria Sharapova, Ryan Harrison, John McEnroe, Etc.

Quote Misquote: Maria Sharapova, Ryan Harrison, John McEnroe, Etc.
Clive Mason/Getty Images
Maria Sharapova: 24 feels old.

What she said:

"I don’t have any regrets about being 24."

Maria Sharapova is enjoying her status as one of the elder stateswomen on the WTA tour. The Russian has won three majors in her eight years and is one of the favourites for this year’s Wimbledon.

What she really meant:

“I’m 24 and I’m old. So what?”

What she definitely didn’t:

“I feel like I’m 100 years old.”

"I’ve been in trouble with [my temper] since I was young.When I was 5, 6 years old, every single time I got mad or threw a racket, I had to do 20 push-ups. And it wasn’t that I stopped the racket throwing or getting mad—I just did a lot of push-ups."

Michael Regan/Getty Images
Ryan Harrison: Game for a push-ups video?
Ryan Harrison, the hope of American men’s tennis, admits he has a temper from an early age and was penalised for it—often.

“I’ve always had a vile temper.”

“I love doing push-ups.”

What she said:

“We are not machines, we are human beings.Every player has their personal problems. Me, I have them, too, a bit more than the others, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to go on a court and win matches.”

Aravane Rezai says that although she has her problems, it does not mean she throws matches.

What she really meant:

“It’s tough to play with personal problems—for anyone.”

What she definitely didn’t:

“Just call me Robo Rezai.”

Nick Laham/Getty Images
John McEnroe sure knows who Viv Richards is

“Viv Richards was the Rod Laver of cricket.”

John McEnroe shows that he’s not just a tennis buff. Vivian Richards is the cricketing version of Rod Laver, according to the legend.

What he really meant:

“Yeah, I know cricket and I know Viv Richards and, sure as hell, do Rod Laver too.”

What he definitely didn’t:

“Rod Laver is the Viv Richards of tennis.”

What she said:

Tennis can be atrocious sometimes… BUT i have to keep going!!!”

Israeli tennis player, Shahar Peer, tweets her reaction to her first round loss at Wimbledon.

What she really meant:

“One bad day at the office does not mean that I’m a lousy player.”

What she definitely didn’t:

Clive Mason/Getty Images
Andy Murray is not golfing.
“The sport is atrocious and so are tennis players.”

"In golf. you are always in control and in tennis, like today for the first set and a half, I wasn’t in control of what was going on out there!"

Andy Murray feels that he did not draw any lessons from golf’s latest sensation, Rory McIlroy, at this year’s US Open. He feels that in golf, the player is always in charge. In tennis, you are sometimes at the mercy at your opponent.

What he really meant:

“I guess I can always win despite not being in total control throughout the match.”

What he definitely didn’t:

“Total control, total domination. That’s me.”

What she said:

“Nah, I’d have a heart attack first."

Serena Williams is under no illusions about her fighting spirit—on court. When asked if she’d concede a match if requested by her mother, Oracene Price—fearing for her health, the four-time Wimbledon champion categorically replied in the negative.

Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
Serena Williams is a hearty competitor
What she really meant:

“I’d rather die.”

What she definitely didn’t:

“I’m a Purple Heart.”

What she said:

"You should ask Roger (Federer) because I don’t have a lot of (grasscourt) wins.”

Francesca Schiavone admits that she is not well-equipped for grass and believes she should pick up some tips from six-time champion, Roger Federer, on how to cope at Wimbledon.

What she really meant:

“Roger Federer has won the title six times. He’s the best person to approach for advice on how to play at Wimbledon.”

What she definitely didn’t:

“Grass is for cows—and Roger.”

Julian Finney/Getty Images
Novak Djokovic is funny.
"She is a really, really nice girl. She’s a great entertainer. No. 1. You never heard about her?"

Novak Djokovic teases Caroline Wozniacki in reply to her question as to who was his favourite women’s player on tour. The Dane gate-crashed the Serb’s press conference on June 18, surprising the No. 2 seed, journalists and red-faced ushers.

What he really meant:

“Ms. Caroline is indeed sweet.”

What he definitely didn’t:

“You have an identical twin?”

“I have a problem calling anything where you have to wear formal pants a sport.”

Andy Roddick says that cricket cannot be a sport because you have to wear full-length trousers.

What he really meant:

Julian Finney/Getty Images
Andy Roddick prefers 'short' sports.
“I don’t have the patience for cricket. The formal pants are merely an excuse.”

What he definitely didn’t:

“Golf’s not a sport as well.“

God is subtle, but he is not malicious.

Albert Einstein

Tennis

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.