Floyd Mayweather Jr., Victor Ortiz to Undergo Full Random Blood and Urine Tests
Unbeaten boxer Floyd Mayweather, Jr. has confirmed he will undergo random blood and urine tests along with WBC Welterweight Champion Victor Ortiz for their scheduled September 17 fight.
Earlier, Mayweather announced via his Twitter page he is facing Ortiz after more than a year of inactivity since he fought Shane Mosley last year in which he won via a unanimous decision.
In his announcement Mayweather said: "My fans have been waiting long enough. Floyd Mayweather vs Victor Ortiz. Sept-17 2011 for the WBC World Championship.
Mayweather told Fytehype in an earlier interview he chose Ortiz because he thinks the WBC welterweight champion brings excitement to the sports of boxing.
On the issue of random blood tests as a precondition to his September 17 fight with Ortiz, Mayweather said Ortiz has agreed to comply with his requirement.
"I take my hands off to Victor Ortiz for stepping up and trying to help clean the sport by taking the random blood and urine tests."
In the same interview, Fythype's Ben Thomson asked him if he and Ortiz are taking random Olympic-style blood and urine tests leading all the way up until the fight.
Mayweather said anybody he faces will have to undergo blood and urine tests. He will do the same to level the playing field. He said Berto has agreed to take the tests.
The unbeaten champion has been urging pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao to take the Olympic-style blood and urine tests but could not agree on the manner and timing of the tests.
"Pacquiao and Mayweather have come close to reaching a deal for potentially the richest fight in boxing history on multiple occasions, only for it to evaporate,"Forbes.com reports.
"Mayweather has insisted that he will require random blood testing for any future fight, even though it is not required by any boxing commission. Pacquiao has agreed to the blood tests but the two sides could never agree on a specific protocol," the report added.
Meanwhile Nigel Collins, the editor of the prestigious Ring Magazine, doubts if the Mayweather vs. Ortiz fight news are true, according to a report by Ronnie Nathanielz of Inquirer.net.
“I’m not even positive the Ortiz fight will happen,” Collins told the Philippine Daily Inquirer Tuesday. “It’s hard to say what Mayweather is thinking.”
He said that the undefeated fighter “is still facing serious criminal charges.”
The report mentions about the manner in which the announcement was made (Twitter post) instead of Mayweather's promoter Golden Boy Promotions doing the official announcement.


.jpg)






