Lewis Hamilton has gone fastest in session one of todays free practice. He followed that by topping the board by a comfortable three tenths of a second in session two.
Lewis hit the track and showed that he meant business this weekend, topping the times and outpacing his world championship rival Felipe Massa by four-tenths of a second.
Hamilton took charge just after the one hour mark and kept on extending his lead from then on.
Less than a tenth of a second covered positions two, three, and four (Felipe Massa, Kimi Raikkonen, and Heikki Kovalainen).
BMW Sauber’s Robert Kubica, who still has a slim mathematical chance of winning the championship, was almost a second off the pace in fifth, while Fernando Alonso—who is finding the track easy and fresh from two consecutive wins—was sixth for Renault.
Lewis continued to push hard in session two and managed to secure the top spot yet again, this time over Fernando Alonso.
Alonso's team mate, Nelson Piquet Jr., vaulted up the rankings to third with a very impressive lap.
Toyota and Jarno Trulli shocked us all as he drove a near perfect lap to clinch fourth, just ahead of Australian driver, Mark Webber, in his Red Bull.
The two Ferraris, who both looked well off pace, kept beneath the radar and finished with in sixth (Massa) and eighth (Raikkonen).
Although there were plenty of cars out on the circuit throughout the 90 minutes, most drivers were unable to improve on their early times.
Practice Session One Times
1. HAMILTON McLaren 1m35.630s
2. MASSA Ferrari 1m36.020s
3. RAIKKONEN Ferrari 1m36.052s
4. KOVALAINEN McLaren 1m36.103s
5. KUBICA BMW 1m36.507s
6. ALONSO Renault 1m36.661s
7. HEIDFELD BMW 1m37.040s
8. BOURDAIS Toro Rosso 1m37.070s
9. PIQUET Renault 1m37.180s
10. VETTEL Toro Rosso 1m37.278s
11. WEBBER Red Bull 1m37.491s
12. BUTTON Honda 1m37.619s
13. NAKAJIMA Williams 1m37.630s
14. COULTHARD Red Bull 1m37.638s
15. ROSBERG Williams 1m37.638s
16. GLOCK Toyota 1m37.664s
17. BARRICHELLO Honda 1m37.827s
18. TRULLI Toyota 1m38.219s
19. SUTIL Force India 1m38.285s
20. FISICHELLA Force India 1m38.479s
Practice Session Two Times
1. HAMILTON McLaren 1m35.750s
2. ALONSO Renault 1m36.024s
3. PIQUET Renault 1m36.094s
4. TRULLI Toyota 1m36.159s
5. WEBBER Red Bull 1m36.375s
6. MASSA Ferrari 1m36.480s
7. BOURDAIS Toro Rosso 1m36.529s
8. RAIKKONEN Ferrari 1m36.542s
9. HEIDFELD BMW 1m36.553s
10. ROSBERG Williams 1m36.556s
11. GLOCK Toyota 1m36.615s
12. KUBICA BMW 1m36.775s
13. KOVALAINEN McLaren 1m36.797s
14. COULTHARD Red Bull 1m36.808s
15. VETTEL Toro Rosso 1m36.925s
16. NAKAJIMA Williams 1m36.975s
17. FISICHELLA Force India 1m37.473s
18. SUTIL Force India 1m37.617s
19. BUTTON Honda 1m37.800s
20. BARRICHELLO Honda 1m37.904s
With thanks to ITV Sport for the times
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!