It's Wrestlemania season!
The "Grandest Stage of Them All" is quickly approaching and I thought I'd share some fun facts on the history of the event:
- At Wrestlemania VI, DDP drove Honky Tonk Man's pink cadillac.
- Hulk Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy is the only cage match in Wrestlemania history.
- Wrestlemania XVI is the only Wrestlemania not to feature a traditional males singles match.
- Wrestlemania I is the only Wrestlemania to not feature a WWE Championship match.
- Chris Benoit's title victory at Wrestlemania XX is the first time a title was won by submission in the main event. It was also the first ever triple threat match in the main event.
- Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania XIX was the first main event at Wrestlemania to feature two wrestlers using their real names.
- Christian is the only wrestler to win a championship in three consecutive Wrestlemania's. Wrestlemania 2000, Wrestlemania XVII and Wrestlemania XVIII.
- Owen Hart left three Wrestlemania three times with three different partners as tag team champions.
- At Wrestlemania XIV, The Rock used the catchphrase, "If you smell what The Rock is cooking" for the first time.
- Wrestlemania VI and X8 are the only Wrestlemania's held outside of the United States, both held in Canada.
- Most Wrestlemania matches by a tag team is the Hart Foundation with six.
- There have been more Wrestlemania's on April 2nd than any other day. Wrestlemania has been on April 2nd three times.
- The earliest Wrestlemania was held on March 14th.
Here are some random, but interesting facts:
- The original idea for Smackdown was to be an all women's wrestling show.
- Hulk Hogan never beat Jerry Lawler in a wrestling match.
- A WWE camera is valued at over $80,000.
- The Dudley Boyz and Razor Ramon never participated in a Royal Rumble match.
- Shelton Benjamin coached Brock Lesnar during his college amateur wrestling days.
- Andre the Giant once fell asleep in a match against Big John Studd.
- Hardcore Holly is a former NASCAR driver and welder.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!