Yesterday, we updated our fantasy rankings for Week 11. Here are some notes on tight ends and pass defenses heading into this week's games:
- Last week, Bengals tight end Jermaine Gresham had the best game of his rookie season: nine receptions for 85 yards and a touchdown. And his matchup this week (Buffalo) is much more favorable than last week (Indianapolis). The Bills have allowed the second-most fantasy points to opposing tight ends; the Colts have allowed the second-fewest.
- Fellow rookie tight end Rob Gronkowski of New England doubled his touchdown total to six by hauling in three touchdowns (on five receptions) against the Steelers on Sunday Night.
- Aaron Hernandez, Gronkowski's teammate and fellow rookie tight end, was held to no receptions after catching two touchdown passes in Cleveland the previous weeks.
- Jets tight end Dustin Keller, who scored five touchdowns from Weeks 2 to 4, hasn't scored a touchdown in five consecutive games. This week, the Jets face the Texans, who have allowed the most fantasy points to opposing tight ends this season in addition to four touchdowns to tight ends in their past three games.
- Chargers tight end Antonio Gates, this year's top fantasy scoring tight end (by far), says he's "50-50" to play this week on Monday night against the Broncos. If he doesn't play, Randy McMichael would be a solid option for Week 11.
- Speaking of Gates, he is the featured tight end in our free fantasy football contest for Week 11.
- The Panthers have allowed opposing tight ends to catch five touchdowns in the past four games. Ravens tight end Todd Heap has scored a total of four touchdowns during that same span. Seems like a match made in heaven.
- Tampa tight end Kellen Winslow scored his first touchdown of the season last week against the Panthers. However, the 49ers have not allowed opposing tight ends to catch a touchdown in any of their past four games. In addition, the Niners have held opposing tight ends to under 50 receiving yards in every game this season.
- In his last four games, Seahawks tight end John Carlson has had three, 47, nine and zero receiving yards.
Here are my top 10 fantasy tight ends for Week 11:
1. Antonio Gates, Chargers (vs. DEN)
2. Vernon Davis, 49ers (vs. TB)
3. Jacob Tamme, Colts (at NE)
4. Dustin Keller, Jets (vs. HOU)
5. Zach Miller, Raiders (at PIT)
6. Chris Cooley, Redskins (at TEN)
7. Jermaine Gresham, Bengals (vs. BUF)
8. Todd Heap, Ravens (at CAR)
9. Tony Gonzalez, Falcons (at STL)
10. Brandon Pettigrew, Lions (at DAL)
See our full top 20 tight end rankings for Week 11.
Good luck in your Week 11 matchup(s) and in our Week 11 contest.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!