Matt Forte was possibly the most frustrating player in the NFL last year. As a Bears fan it hurt me to watch him fall short of his fantastic rookie season and as a Fantasy player he had one of the biggest boom to bust season's ever. Not to worry however, Matt Forte will be back to his old self this season and here are five reasons why:
5. The right side of the Bears O-Line. Frank "Oh My God Not Him" Omiyale was a fish out of water at guard last year. He looked confused as a pulling guard and inept at an interior run blocker. This season he is being replaced by 26 year old James Marten. Marten had trouble cracking the roster last season because he had the Omiyale project in front of him. Marten has looked really solid this pre-season and adds some youth to the O-line. The true blessing is that Omiyale has been moved out to right tackle where his size and quickness will be a boon on opposing teams DE. This line anchored by Olin Kreutz and Chris Williams with another year under his belt is looking way better than last season.
4. Jay Cutler had a roller coaster season last year to say the least. For every touchdown pass that amazed there was a crippling interception that made you hang your head back down. This season Cutler hopes to increase the TDs and decrease the INT's and should be able to do so with WRs like Johnny Knox now knowing the system better and hopeful phenom Devin Aromashodu in the back field this will keep safety's and corners from blitzing too much and from cheating on the run.
3. Matt Forte himself might be the person that was most disappointed last season. He has had an offseason to bust his hump and make sure that he is breaking arm tackles and getting separation on swing routes and screen passes. The person with the most to prove this season is Matt Forte. Was last years debacle just an ugly example of the sophomore slump or was his rookie season a fluke?
2. Mike Martz. Enough said, while his track record has not been as good since he left the Rams' Greatest Show on Turf, he hasn't had the best personnel to work with between the Lions and the 49ers. Not to mention his year out of the league has probably humbled him now and with him reuniting with Lovie Smith it looks like he could once again bring some flash to this offense. He has a very versatile running back in Matt Forte and tons of speed in his wideouts along with two very good Tight Ends. I think Mike Martz is looking to resurrect his career and I wish him the best.
1. With a bullet the one name that has so far been absent. CHESTER TAYLOR! He is in many ways the biggest reason to look for Matt Forte to get back to form. Chester Taylor is a hard hitting capable back that can spell Forte. And he can catch. He had 44 receptions last season at 8.8 yards per catch. This guy will add another element to the Bear offense that was missing last season: competition. Matt Forte can no longer feel comfortable that the job is his and only his. He is going to have to step it up.