Isner vs Mahut Tennis Alternatives: What To Do With 10 Hours
Epic is the only word that can describe the John Isner and Nicolas Mahut's first round match at Wimbledon.
Most viewing events called epics are actually shorter.
Just the fact that the fifth set of this match is longer than any other pro tennis event on record details how crazy this is.
The winner of this match, whenever that happens, will face Thiemo de Bakker, who won a grueling fifth set with a score of 16-14. That's a football score.
At minimum, Isner and Mahut will match the score of the Duke-Butler National Championship basketball game.
There are no two-pointers or three-pointers in tennis.
Somewhere in one or both of their minds, they will wake up tomorrow feeling like they suffered through tennis purgatory, playing in their head the tennis match that would never end.
After they are fully awake, they will realize it's not over.
Given the fantastic battle they have both went through to get to even at 59, maybe they will be lucky tonight and get a chance to dream.
What could they have done with 10 hours instead of playing a tennis match that isn't yet finished?
I am here to give some perspective and options on how Isner and Mahut could have filled up 10 hours instead of filling the time with many serves and volleys.
1. Isner and Mahut could have attended the USA-Algeria World Cup game, drove to Johannesburg and then attended the Ghana/Germany game.
They still would haved had a few hours to party with German fans afterwards.
2. Isner and Mahut could have chilled at a London flat and watched the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Now, they couldn't have watched the extended versions yet, but if they play another hour and 22 minutes Thursday, they will reach the run time of those.
I can't believe there are actually people who would watch 11-and-a-half hours of Lord of the Rings in a row.
3. Isner and Mahut want to laugh, so instead of movies they decide to watch the original Office.
The entire series.
David Brent is more comfortable to watch than trying to break serve.
They can also mix in a few Extras episodes after to fill up the rest of the time.
4. Isner and Mahut could play 36 holes at Royal St. George's, and probably still have time to eat dinner and grab a pint.
5. Had Isner and Mahut wanted to stay with tennis, they would have needed to build a time machine and get a sex change.
In 10 hours, they could have won the 2009 Wimbledon Women's title.
Serena Williams entire tournament play time lasted less than 10 hours.
6. Although probably not completely safe (since they would have to walk along a highway) Isner and Mahut could walk from Washington, D.C. to Baltimore, MD.
7. Isner and Mahut could oversleep.
It's a given that the match will total more than 10 hours.
Many doctors have sited the dangers of sleeping over 10 hours (consistently but for the fun of this go with me) and that it is considered oversleeping and can make a person sluggish.
8. Isner and Mahut could have grabbed an afternoon ballgame in Oakland and watched the Reds-Athletics relive memories of 20 years ago, then they could have went to Oakland airport, got a flight to Orange County and could have made an appearance at the Dodgers/Angels game.
9. They could check out the radio archives and break out an afternoon of thrills as they would listen to the longest doubleheader in American League history.
The tape would include the intermission, the rain delay and every commercial as it recalls the June 17th, 1967 doubleheader between the Royals and Tigers that went a total of 28 innings and lasted 9 hours and 56 minutes.
10. Isner and Mahut just need a vacation, and want out of London.
Where could they go in 10 hours?
They want to head to the United States, and in that amount of time, New York City and Washington, D.C. are too easy.
Instead the guys plan their nine hour and fifty-five minute flight from London to Dallas. The flight is 4700 miles.
Then again, maybe they want to get more exotic.
The duo could fly 4469 miles and take a trip from London to Mumbai, India and still have 45 minutes to get through customs.
Now if the match goes an hour more, they would have enough time to fly from London to Johannesburg and catch some World Cup play.
Eventually the match will end Thursday, so we think, with both competitors showing true heart and an amazing will to win in the biggest event in their sport.
Mahut, a qualifier from France, has shown determination as if he belongs on this grand stage.
His country's soccer team meanwhile are playing 36 and oversleeping.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?