2010 Kentucky Derby Post Positions: Lookin at Lucky Draws Inside Post
The annual last minute scrambling to get into the Grade 1 Kentucky Derby, worth $2,185,100, saw hopes of a “Run for the Roses” dashed for some connections, while others were elated to draw in to the 20-horse field.
Injuries to Eskendereya, who would have been the favorite, and Endorsement, along with decisions not to enter Rule and Interactif, opened the door for Jackson Bend, Backtalk and Make Music for Me to grab final spots in the Derby field. Pleasant Prince and Setsuko entered the race, but were excluded.
Contention ran especially deep this year, as the graded stakes earnings cutoff was Make Music for Me with $218,750. Last year, Nowhere to Hide was the last to get in with $55,500.
Since 1900, 89 Derby winners have started in posts 1-10, while only 21 have come from posts 11-20.
A noticeable moan could be heard from those attending the draw when the likely favorite, Lookin at Lucky (pictured), drew the inside post. He was followed immediately with the likely second choice, Sidney’s Candy, drawing post 20.
Below is the list of all 20 horses entered in this year’s Kentucky Derby along with their post position, morning line odds and a brief comment. Make sure to check back throughout the week for additional coverage of Saturday’s Kentucky Derby, as well as the Kentucky Oaks, which will be run on Friday.
PP Horse (Morning Line Odds) Comment
1. Lookin at Lucky (3-1) Best horse in the field has 6 wins, can he avoid traffic trouble?
2. Ice Box (10-1) Long layoff since winning Florida Derby.
3. Noble’s Promise (12-1) Has run impressively behind Lucky, bred for distance?
4. Super Saver (15-1) One of two left for Winstar. Could be sitting on huge race.
5. Line of David (30-1) Speedball won Ark. Derby. Tactics unlikely to work here.
6. Stately Victor (30-1) Avoided trouble in Bluegrass romp. Son of Ghostzapper.
7. American Lion (30-1) Won Ill. Derby with perfect set up. Son of Tiznow can improve.
8. Dean’s Kitten (50-1) Most starts in the field with 11. Won Lane's End by two lengths.
9. Make Music for Me (50-1) Last horse to get in. Disappointed in Bluegrass.
10. Paddy O’Prado (20-1) Chased down by Stately Victor in Bluegrass.
11. Devil May Care (10-1) The lone filly, it’s all or nothing with her. Latter seems likely.
12. Conveyance (12-1) Another speedball. The “other” Baffert.
13. Jackson Bend (15-1) Ran valiantly behind Eskendereya.
14. Mission Impazible (20-1) Impressive winner of La. Derby. One of four Pletcher horses.
15. Discreetly Mine (30-1) Another caught up in a fast pace?
16. Awesome Act (10-1) European horse. Flopped in Wood.
17. Dublin (12-1) Couldn’t get by Line of David in Arkansas. Not training well.
18. Backtalk (50-1) Solid two-year old campaign, not backed up as three-year old.
19. Homeboykris (50-1) Won the Gr. 1 Champagne last year, but disappointed since.
20. Sidney’s Candy (5-1) Three smashing wins at Santa Anita. Can he pass horses?
Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter @mdoche!
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?