The Mets beat the Cubs 4-0 yesterday behind strong performances from starter Mike Pelfrey, who shut the Cubbies out over seven innings, and a rested Jose Reyes,who had a breakout four hit performance and also stole a base.
- Mike Pelfrey was very effective with his new sinker. His line: 7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 6 K. His ERA is now 0.86 with a 1.00 WHIP for the season.
- The Mets got two more shutout innings from Ryota Igarashi , Fernando Nieve , and Francisco Rodriguez . Their line: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K.
- Igarashi left the game early after he slipped fielding a bunt in the eighth inning.
- The Mets scored two runs in the first off of a two-RBI triple by Jose Reyes . He was 4-5 with a stolen base.
- They scored two more to go ahead 4-0 off a two-run pinch-hit home run by Fernando Tatis .
- Luis Castillo went 2-4 with a walk.
- Angel Pagan and Henry Blanco both went 1-3.
- David Wright , Jason Bay , Jeff Francoeur , and Ike Davis combined to go 0-13. Bay and Davis walked once each.
- In just three starts Mike Pelfrey has developed one of the best sinkers in the game. Will the league adjust to it? That is the question.
- A day off seemed to really help Jose Reyes, who looked like he was himself again, picking up four hits and a stolen base. Jerry Manuel should be sure he gets Reyes rest as often as possible.
- If Igarashi is gone for an extended period it could end up being a big blow to this bullpen.
Line of the Night
- 2-out RBI J Reyes 2, F Tatis 2. The Mets didn’t get a lot of, or any, offense from their 3-4-5 hitters, but they won this game with some timely hitting. See, they catch breaks occasionally.
- The Mets have avoided losing another series, but they still have to win at least one more to win their first series of the season.
- Wednesday, April 21: RHP Carlos Silva (1-0, 0.69 ERA) vs. LHP Oliver Perez (0-1, 3.75 ERA).
- Thursday, April 22: LHP Tom Gorzelanny (0-1, 1.93 ERA) vs. LHP Johan Santana (1-1, 3.00 ERA).
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!