None of the beat writers would dare say this because, well, John Tortorella would challenge them to a fight, but I’m going to say it: John Tortorella is a baby and I question his ability to ever handle a coaching job in New York.
No, he’s not the major problem with this team, but Tortorella decided to take a coaching job in New York, probably the city with the most media focus in all of North America, and he can’t even deal with a little critism.
Just look at the atmosphere he’s created:
- From the Bergin Records' Andrew Gross : “But before the coach accuses me of trying to coach, I will say I was not on the bench and there are certainly factors that went into the decision that I was not privy to.”
- From the Journal News’ Rick Carpiniello : “I’m not coaching (thank goodness) and saying Gaborik should have been in, because I’m going to be honest here.”
- From the NY Post’s Larry Brooks : “The shootout and the season ended without Gaborik, the 42-goal scorer who finished fifth in the Rocket Richard race, getting the chance to shoot. But he was going to go next. Why? The coach wouldn’t say.”
Not only are these reporters afraid to do their job without Tortorella harassing them about trying to coach from the press box, but they can’t do their job period because he won’t answer the questions he doesn’t feel like answering.
Attention Tortorella: Part of your job as a head coach in the NHL is dealing with and addressing the media, especially in New York. As a person who has coached before and has been a member of the media, Tortorella should know this and stop acting like a prima donna.
Again, I don’t put all the blame on the coach for yesterday’s loss or this disappointing season, although he does deserve his fair share of the blame, but it has become clear here that this is a coach that cannot handle the spotlight of New York.
He’s lucky he’s only the hockey coach too, imagine if Jerry Manuel of the Mets or Joe Girardi of the Yankees challenged a reporter to a fight? They’d have run them out of town immediately.
Maybe he should go coach in Nashville or something because he has shown he can’t handle it here.
What a baby.
- April 11, 2010 -- Lundqvist Just Didn’t Have Enough Left in the Tank (0)
- March 28, 2010 -- John Tortorella, This is Exactly What I was Talking About (0)
- March 26, 2010 -- John Tortorella vs. The Media: Round 2 (1)
- March 26, 2010 -- John Tortorella vs. The Media: Round 1 (0)