No NFL opportunity could be a more perfect match for Pete Carroll than the Seattle Seahawks. Carroll has always maintained that he would never leave USC unless a premium opportunity arose in the NFL. Few thought that opportunity would come with the Seattle Seahawks, but c'est la vie.
The following is a list of 10 reasons why Carroll is making a smart move
1. The Seahawks have a billionaire owner named Paul Allen who not only is willing to spend his money but also will not interfere.
2. The Seahawks are willing to give Carroll complete authority and autonomy. Not only will Carroll be head coach, but also he will be the Bill Parcells/Mike Holmgren type leader of the front office.
3. The Seahawks roster is blatantly in major need of an overhaul, especially on offense. This would allow Carroll to heartlessly remake the roster from the ground up without public or internal opposition.
4. The Seahawks have two relatively high first round picks in the upcoming NFL draft. Invaluable for a rebuilding team with no young franchise quarterback.
5. USC is under serious NCAA investigation for issues regarding running backs Joe McKnight and Reggie Bush, which may result in USC surrendering BCS money, Bowl wins and or future scholarships. Who wants to stick around for that nightmare? Its Lane Kiffin's problem now.
6. If Carroll never left USC, he would forever be known as an NFL coach who couldn’t hack it in the pros and fled to the NCAA.
7. The Seahawks play in one of if not the weakest division in the NFL, especially with the high probability that Kurt Warner retires, making it easier to rebuild the team into an instant winner.
8. The money, the dollar amount of Carroll’s new contract with the Seahawks ought to be so mind blowing the numbers will appear in 3-D.
9. Carroll has said repeatedly that he prefers the west coast and living on the water. Seattle is exactly that.
10. If Carroll wins a Super Bowl, he will become only the third coach in history and the first since Barry Switzer to have won both a National Championship and Super Bowl. If you thought he was a legend at USC before his legendary status would jump ten fold.
Of course, none of this will matter if he goes to the Seahawks and lays a gigantic egg. If Carrol bombs in Seattle his reputation and ability to go back to the NCAA and recruit will be seriously damaged. No one said a move of this magnitude would come without risks. Given Carroll's energetic and infectiously positive nature I wouldn't bet against him.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!