It’s that time of year—the time when millions gather with family and friends, the season’s colors brightly and proudly donned, libations and celebratory fare served to the full.
Excitement, anticipation: Will this year afford that perfect present or disappointment that we’ll have to bear at least until next year?
That’s right, it’s CFB Bowl Season! (You didn’t I was talking about something else, did you?)
During the regular season we participated in fantasy leagues, pick ‘ems, and predicting challenges of every sort. Mosang Miles, the Emperor of the Bleacher’s Western Kingdom handily won the Bleacher League's regular season Bowl Pick ‘em (Congratulations).
Since Miles made it look so easy, I thought I’d give the Bowl Season a little more of a Southern flavor!
So, without further ado, I, your CFB Czar and humble Southern Correspondent, give you the Southern Fried FootBowl Challenge!
I’ve picked 15 games, mostly with a Southern participant, and challenge you to see if you can outpick the Czar. The winners (those with a better record than me) will be immortalized in my postseason wrap.
The overall winner (whoever has the best overall record) will receive a $50 Visa gift card. (Note: only one overall winner.)
Bowl Game (notice I used the full name for the bowl game just for fun!)
1. Meineke Car Care, Air Freshener, and Flat Tire Bowl: Charlotte, NC (Dec. 26, 2009)
North Carolina 8-4 (4-4 ACC) vs. No. 17 Pittsburgh 9-3 (5-2 Big East)
Czar’s Pick: Pitt (going away)
2. Emerald Is a Pretty Color Bowl: San Francisco, CA (Dec. 26, 2009)
Boston College 8-4 (5-3 ACC) vs. No. 24 USC 9-3 (5-4 Pac-10)
Czar’s Pick: BC
3. Independence and Hey, Where Is Shreveport Bowl: Shreveport, LA (Dec. 28, 2009)
Georgia 7-5 (4-4 SEC) vs. Texas A&M 6-6 (3-5 Big 12)
Czar’s Pick: Texas A&M (A&M might be next year's most improved team)
4. Champs Sports and Chicken Wings Bowl: Orlando, FL (Dec. 29, 2009)
No. 15 Miami 9-3 (5-3 ACC) vs. No. 25 Wisconsin 9-3 (5-3 Big Ten)
Czar’s Pick: The U (Miami)
5. Armed Forces and Texas Shoot ‘Em Up Bowl: Fort Worth, TX (Dec. 31, 2009)
Air Force 7-5 (5-3 MWC) vs. Houston 10-3 (6-2 CUSA)
Czar’s Pick: Houston
6. Peach-fil-A and Moo-ther of all Sponsorships Bowl: Atlanta, GA (Dec. 31, 2009)
Tennessee 7-5 (4-4 SEC) vs. Virginia Tech 9-3 (6-2 ACC)
Czar’s Pick: Tennessee (Us against the world might work against ACC)
7. Cap One Old Hat and What’s in Your Wallet Bowl: Orlando, FL (Dec. 31, 2009)
No. 12 LSU 9-3 (5-3 SEC) vs. No. 13 PSU 10-2 (6-2 Big Ten)
Czar’s Pick: LSU (Hatter’s Madness beats Old Age and Treachery!)
8. Outback Blooming Onion Bowl: Tampa, FL (Jan. 1, 2010)
Northwestern 8-4 (5-3 Big Ten) vs. Auburn 7-5 (3-5 SEC)
Czar’s Pick: Auburn
9. Have You Ever Actually Eaten Gator Bowl: Jacksonville, FL (Jan. 1, 2010)
No. 16 West Virginia 9-3 (5-2 Big East) vs. Florida State 6-6 (4-4 ACC)
Czar’s Pick: West Virginia (Sorry, Bobby Bowden will go out with a loss to the horse he rode in on)
10. SEC Consolation and Please Pass the Sugar Bowl: New Orleans, LA (Jan. 1, 2010)
No. 5 Florida 12-1 (8-0 SEC) vs. No. 3 Cincinnati 12-0 (7-0 Big East)
Czar’s Pick: Florida (Superman has one more heroic episode before moving on to Krypton—the NFL—where he’ll be a mortal.)
11. Cotton Bowl (Good name, I just like the tradition): Dallas, TX (Jan. 2, 2010)
Mississippi 8-4 (4-4 SEC) vs. No. 19 Oklahoma State 9-3 (6-2 Big 12)
Czar’s Pick: OSU (“I’m a man, I’m 40!”—just saying.)
12. Remember the Alamo Bowl: San Antonio, TX (Jan. 2, 2010)
Michigan State 6-6 (4-4 Big Ten) vs. Texas Tech 8-4 (5-3 Big 12)
Czar’s Pick: MSU (Perfect place for the under manned Spartans to make a stand.)
13. The BCS Punked Out, Please Enjoy the Fiesta Bowl: Glendale, AZ (Jan. 4, 2010)
No. 4 TCU 12-0 (8-0 MWC) vs. No. 6 Boise State 13-0 (8-0 WAC)
Czar’s Pick: TCU (An impressive win and sloppy BCS Title Game and the Frogs could get the AP vote?)
14. Didn’t They Tear Down the Orange Bowl: Miami, FL (Jan. 5, 2010)
No. 9 Georgia Tech 11-2 (7-1 ACC) vs. No. 10 Iowa 10-2 (6-2 Big Ten)
Czar’s Pick: Georgia Tech (This could be a classic.)
15. Congress Said not to Call it a Championship Game: Pasadena, CA (Jan. 7, 2010)
No. 1 Alabama 13-0 (8-0 SEC) vs. No. 2 Texas 13-0 (8-0 Big 12)
Czar’s Pick: Texas (I’m not sure I believe this myself, but it just seems to me that every time you count a team out...)
16. Bonus Pick: MWC will win the ESPN Conference Bowl Championship, but the SEC will Win the Most Games (seven).
There it is—the Southern Fried FootBowl Challenge. Let's see what you got.
(Please list your winners in numerical order in the comment section. Your picks must be posted prior to the start of any particular game for that pick to count—games not picked will count for 0.5 loss.)
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!