Left out of the upcoming tournament, IBF super middleweight title holder Lucian Bute was left to once again go to war against hard hitting contender Librado Andrade. Just as the first was, this bout will be held in Bute's adopted homeland of Canada.
The Golden Boy and Interbox co-promoted event will be aired on HBO's "Boxing After Dark" series on November 28 and will mark the first time since 1977 that they will take their cameras and crew up north to televise a fight.
"We're excited to do out first ever "Boxing After Dark" from Canada," said Luis Barragan, director of programming for HBO Sports. "The Canadian crowd generated a tremendous atmosphere for the first fight and there's obviously some unfinished business between these two fighters so we expect great boxing action."
The unfinished business Barragan speaks of comes from the dramatic and controversial ending to their first encounter in October of last year.
In his second title defense Bute (24-0 19 KOs) was able to outbox Andrade and even put him on the canvas in the tenth frame. Bute entered the 12th and final round with a comfortable lead on all three scorecards, but opted to go for the dramatic finish in front of the hometown crowd of 16,300, rather than play it safe and cruise to a win.
While trying to put Andrade (28-2 21 KOs) away, Bute left himself wide open as Andrade was able to score with several bombs. With five seconds left in the bout, Andrade landed a devastating shot that dropped Bute. Not being able to be saved by the bell, Bute got up before the count of ten and kept his title with a unanimous decision victory.
Andrade and his camp were visibly frustrated with referee Marlon Wright as they felt he gave the hometown fighter a long count.
At the press conference following the fight, it was stated by Bute that he had no problem giving Andrade a rematch while the brass at Golden Boy Promotions announced that they would file a protest on behalf of their fighter with the IBF.
No such protest was filed, and Golden Boy Promotions appeared to have put any sort of controversy behind them.
"I'm thrilled to be partnering with Interbox and HBO on this exciting rematch between two of the top super middleweight in the world," said Oscar de la Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions. "We wanted to make sure we could offer this fight to both the Canadian and American boxing fans and everyone should expect fireworks on November 28th."
Bute's promotional firm shared the same sentiment.
"It's an honour for us to welcome HBO to Canada for the first time in over 30 years," said InterBox CEO Jean Bedard. "We look forward to collaborating with one of the greatest US television networks. This will be a great opportunity for Lucian to get the highest visibility in his sport and to showcase all his skills to prove he's a world class champion."
More information on the anticipated rematch between Bute and Andrade will be made available in the coming weeks.
Questions and comments can be sent to email@example.com
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!