Breaking News: Steve McNair Found Dead along with Female Victim

Bob Cunningham@BCunningham215Senior Analyst IJuly 4, 2009

SAN DIEGO - NOVEMBER 25:  Quarterback Steve McNair #9 of the Baltimore Ravens looks on from the sidelines against the San Diego Chargers during their NFL Game at Qualcomm Stadium November 25, 2007 in San Diego, California.  (Photo by Donald Miralle/Getty Images) in Nashville is reporting that former Houston Oilers/Tennessee Oilers/Tennessee Titans and Baltimore Ravens quarterback Steve McNair has been found dead, a victim of a fatal gunshot wound to the head.

The incident was originally reported as a murder-suicide, but now it's being ruled a double homicide.

"We do not know the circumstances related to the death," Don Aaron, Information Director for the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department, said. "We received a call of persons injured inside one of the condominiums.  When police officers arrived in response to that call, we found two individuals that had been shot to death inside the residence: one female, one male.  We now know that the male deceased is Steve McNair."

A female victim was also found by McNair's side.

More information to follow as it is reported.

McNair was a former first-round pick of the Houston Oilers in 1995. After playing for the Houston Oilers and later the Tennessee Titans, he was traded to the Baltimore Ravens where he played for two years.

Steve McNair was a class-act, and his death is a huge loss for the NFL community and, since he was a well-regarded human being, the world.

"We are saddened and shocked to hear the news of Steve McNair's passing today," Tennessee Titans owner K.S. "Bud" Adams, Jr. said in a statement. "He was one of the finest players to play for our organization and one of the most beloved players by our fans. He played with unquestioned heart and leadership and led us to places that we had never reached, including our only Super Bowl. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family as they deal with his untimely passing."

McNair was only 36 years old.

Update: The woman has been "tentatively identified," and when the information is known, her next of kin will be notified, then the press.

No one is yet in custody for the killings.