Former UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard has signed a multi-fight contract with Las Vegas-based promotion World Series of Fighting.
WSOF executive Shawn Lampman confirmed the news to Bleacher Report on Monday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"We are pleased and excited to announce to the MMA world that Melvin Guillard has a new home at the World Series of Fighting," WSOF president Ray Sefo said.
"I'm excited to start a new chapter in my career," Guillard said. "I feel like a new fighter and want to prove I'm one of, if not the best, in the world."
Guillard was released by the UFC last month after a loss to Michael Johnson at UFC Fight Night: Gustafsson vs. Manuwa. The loss was Guillard's third in his previous five fights.
The veteran lightweight was a member of the second season of The Ultimate Fighter. He made his official UFC debut with a win over Marcus Davis at The Ultimate Fighter 2 finale. Over the course of his UFC career, Guillard would amass a 12-9 record, with one no-contest. That stint included notable wins over Dennis Siver, Gleison Tibau, Jeremy Stephens and Shane Roller.
Guillard experienced the best stretch of his career in 2010 and 2011, when he racked up five consecutive victories and neared title contention. But a loss to Joe Lauzon at UFC 136 derailed Guillard's plans, and he would go 2-5 with one no-contest through the rest of his UFC career.
Guillard's debut date for World Series of Fighting has not been determined.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!