Luke Shaw Transfer Rumours: Latest News on the Southampton Star
Southampton left-back Luke Shaw is set for an anxious wait over the final days of the January transfer window with ever-increasing speculation that he may be headed for one of the Premier League's elite sides.
Still a teenager, Shaw has amassed a season-and-a-half of Premier League experience and, for the time being, has proven up to any challenge presented.
However, what do the final few days of the January window hold in store for the England Under-21 international? Stay up to date with latest reports here on Bleacher Report.
—LAST UPDATED THURSDAY JAN 30—
Ward-Prowse: Shaw Should Stay a Saint
Thursday 30 January
Southampton team-mate James Ward-Prowse believes that Luke Shaw should remain with the club this month, describing the Saints as "the best club to be at at the moment".
Shaw has been linked with a move to both Manchester United and Chelsea over the last month and, while Ward-Prowse admits that there has been banter among the players, he believes his colleague will stay.
Per the Daily Express' Ben Jefferson, he told reporters:
Obviously there is a little bit of banter flying around about the headlines, but that is just normal in football.
His feet are on the ground, his head at the right place at the moment and he put in a great performance against Arsenal.
He is settled, that is the main thing. You can see the fans love him as well, which is a good thing. This is the best club to be at at the moment.
Shaw and Ward-Prowse are just two of a number of youngsters to have impressed at Southampton over the past 18-months as the club's emphasis on youth begins to reap dividends.
Mauricio Pochettino's side are comfortably in the top half of the Premier League this season, having moved well clear of the relegation battle early in the campaign.
Their success, though, has brought much attention and the interest in Shaw is just one of the consequences of their fine league showings.
Pochettino: Shaw Not Leaving Southampton
Tuesday 28 January
Amid all the talk of a possible Shaw exit from St Mary's Stadium, Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino is yet to be convinced that his young star is going anywhere.
Per the Mirror's Joe Batchelor, Pochettino stressed that Shaw is happy on the south coast and will not be leaving the club anytime soon while that situation remains unchanged.
The Argentine is quoted as saying:
He hasn’t said anything to me that has changed the situation from when he said he wanted to stay. It is still the same.
At this moment Southampton have no interest in selling him. Not in the summer either. Southampton has many great players for the future. We have no ambition of selling any of them.
Besides Shaw, Nathaniel Clyne, James Ward-Prowse and Callum Chambers have all made regular first-team appearances this campaign and will be on the radar of some of the league's bigger sides.
Southampton have developed a formidable reputation for bringing through young players in recent years, with Gareth Bale, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Theo Walcott all beginning their professional careers at the club.
Unless the side can dramatically improve to challenge for major honours in the next couple of seasons, Shaw will also inevitably move on. Southampton, though, will once more be royally rewarded for their efforts.
Shaw a Saint Until the Summer
Monday 27 January
Manchester United face having to wait until the summer to secure the capture of left-back target Luke Shaw, according to the Independent's Ian Herbert and Sam Wallace.
With time now of the essence in January, the report suggests that Southampton would hold out for a huge fee in the belief that Chelsea will also move for the player's services this summer.
The report reads:
Manchester United and Chelsea to Do Battle
Monday 27 January
Rumours of a Manchester United bid for Luke Shaw this month grew steadily on the weekend and, on Monday morning, they took another step forward with the Telegraph's Mark Ogden reporting a £30 million battle between the Red Devils and Chelsea.
Per Ogden, who was one of the first to report on United's interest and capture of Chelsea's Juan Mata, the Old Trafford side will make a major move for the left-back this week.
The report states:
But with Mata signed and Rooney close to agreeing terms, United manager David Moyes has now charged executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward with completing a deal for Shaw at the end of the season – despite Chelsea appearing to lead the way in pursuit of the left-back because of his boyhood support of the London club.
United have explored the possibility of a move for the 18-year-old this month after ending interest in Everton’s Leighton Baines, but Southampton’s resistance to a sale has forced the champions to delay formal efforts until the summer.
Both clubs are on the look out for a long-term left-back option, with both Patrice Evra and Ashley Cole in the final year of their current contracts and, as of yet, not offered a renewal per the Evening Standard.
Moyes' hunt for a new left-back at United appears to be on of the priorities for the current window, with Shaw not the only player to have been regularly linked in recent weeks.
The former Everton boss, though, looks to have settled upon the 18-year-old Englishman as he seeks to secure major recruits ahead of a push for Champions League qualification this term.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!