Newcastle United Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of January 13
Almost two weeks after the window opened, it seems some movement is likely at Newcastle United this week, with the press reporting on a number of potential comings and goings.
The Magpies are in desperate need of a lift, having lost four games in a row in all competitions, and boss Alan Pardew is keen to counter their dip in form with some new faces—especially in attack.
Departures from St. James’ Park are also beginning to look inevitable this month, with one deal in particular already done and a few more in the pipeline.
So, with a busy couple of weeks coming up, we take a close look at the latest round of transfer rumours surrounding the Toon.
Last updated: Jan. 16, 9:00 a.m. GMT
Siem De Jong
The attacking midfielder has told his agent that he’s ready to quit Dutch giants and take on a challenge elsewhere, and while Toon boss Alan Pardew is a known admirer, he will resist bidding for now.
According to Lee Ryder in the Evening Chronicle, a summer move for De Jong senior is more probable, providing another club don’t come in for the Netherlands international before then.
The report also suggests Pardew is set to pass up the opportunity to sign highly-rated Blackpool and England Under-21 winger Tom Ince during the current window.
The Gunners have reportedly scouted the defender since he was 16, and are ready to pay £3 million to take the 20-year-old to the Emirates Stadium this month.
But the Magpies are understood to have made a better offer for the England Under-20 international, and Forest have responded by offering the centre-back a new contract.
The Italians are in the market for a stopper to replace 36-year-old Christian Abbiati, and new Rossoneri boss Clarence Seedorf is thought to be a fan of Krul, as was his predecessor Massimiliano Allegri.
The report suggests the 25-year-old Holland international comes highly recommended by Dutch legend Edwin van der Sar, who is an ex-teammate of Seedorf’s.
A fresh twist in the Papiss Cisse transfer saga could see the Newcastle United striker return to Germany this month—with Borussia Monchengladbach forward Luuk De Jong moving in the other direction.
The Senegalese international spent over two years with SC Freiburg before moving to the Magpies in 2012, and a potential swap deal could see him back in the Bundesliga.
Paul Fraser from The Northern Echo suggests a United delegation, including director of football Joe Kinnear, is due to hold high-level discussions with Borussia president Rolf Konigs in an effort to thrash out a deal.
An unnamed Qatar club were in talks to sign Cisse last week, and it seemed the 28-year-old’s time on Tyneside could be coming to an end.
But the player ruled out a move away from European football, and Lee Ryder in the Evening Chronicle suggested two bids for the forward have been turned down.
An original offer of £9 million was reportedly made according to Colin Young in the Daily Mail, though the Magpies are said to be holding out for more money.
With his agents said to be working around the clock to try to secure a move, a switch this month looks likely, with Cisse struggling to nail down a regular place in Alan Pardew’s starting XI.
Juan Torres Ruiz
Newcastle United are preparing for life after Fabricio Coloccini according to Steph Clark in The Northern Echo, and one name in the frame to replace the centre-back is Sevilla defender Juan Torres Ruiz.
Known as ‘Cala’, the 24-year-old Spaniard becomes a free agent this summer after 14 years with the La Liga club, and negotiations surrounding a new deal are thought to have hit a snag.
The report suggests Coloccini, who is currently out injured with a knee injury, will leave Tyneside at the end of the current campaign having requested a transfer some 12 months ago.
One player who has already left Newcastle United is Argentine winger Jonas Gutierrez.
Having failed to make an impact on the Magpies’ first team this season, the 30-year-old has teamed up with former Toon manager Chris Hughton at Norwich City.
The player thanked the Geordie fans via his Twitter account over the weekend:
“Thanks for the messages. I enjoy my 5 years at the club, I hope the club finish the highest this season and the best to my team-mates.”
Gutierrez signed for United from Spanish side Mallorca back in 2008, and made 195 appearances for the club.
Luuk De Jong
Newcastle United’s well-publicised pursuit of Luuk De Jong took another twist on Monday, with the Dutch striker issuing a "come and get me" plea, according to Lee Ryder in the Evening Chronicle.
The 23-year-old has stagnated since his €15 million switch to Borussia Monchengladbach in July 2012, and is eager to relaunch his career away from the Bundesliga.
A loan fee is currently standing in the way of the deal, with the Germans thought to be ready to offload the former FC Twente man on a permanent basis.
The player himself has already envisaged the move. Per Ryder:
“I can imagine going. My coach will change things in the second half (of the season) but not that much. He does not talk much with me. It was a first half (of the season) to forget.”
The 27-year-old attacking midfielder will be a free agent in the summer, and could sign a pre-contract agreement with the Magpies ahead of a transfer at the end of the season.
The Bundesliga outfit would ideally like to hang on to their longest serving player, but the German international is keen to keep his options open.
Despite spending just a year at Newcastle United, French international right-back Mathieu Debuchy is believed to be a target for big-spending Paris Saint-Germain.
The Ligue 1 champions are reportedly ready to take the former Lille defender back to his home country as competition for the likes of Gregory van der Wiel and Christophe Jallet.
PSG manager Laurent Blanc was responsible for handing Debuchy his debut for France in 2011, and is a long-term admirer of the 28-year-old, according to Stuart Rayner in The Journal.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!