With the winter transfer window opening this week, clubs across Europe are preparing to bolster their squads and clear the decks.
However, as the second half of the 2013-14 campaign gets underway, the big question on Tyneside surrounds the possibility of any comings and goings at Newcastle United.
The Magpies are never far away from speculation, and have been linked with a host of potential arrivals over the weeks and months leading up to January.
With a couple of players likely to depart St. James’ Park over the next four weeks, let's take a close look at the latest round of rumours surrounding the Toon.
Last updated: Jan. 2, 2:00 p.m. GMT
Manchester City defender Joleon Lescott could be ready to swap the North-West for the North-East according to Adam Crafton from the Daily Mail, with Newcastle United ready to make a loan bid for the 31-year-old.
The report suggests Tottenham Hotspur and Monaco are also in the running to land the centre-back, who has become surplus to requirements at the Etihad Stadium.
With the likes of Martin Demichelisand and Matija Nastasic ahead of him in the pecking order, Lescott has been told he can leave City by manager Manuel Pellegrini.
And with the former Everton man’s contract due to expire at the end of the current campaign, any move would spell the end of his four-and-a-half year stay with the Sky Blues.
After a New Year’s Day to forget at West Bromwich Albion which saw Newcastle United’s defence devastated by injury and suspension, Toon boss Alan Pardew is understood to have moved for utility man Jonny Heitinga.
The Everton star has been on West Ham United’s radar for quite some time, and Hammers manager Sam Allardyce is said to have been confident of landing the 30-year-old.
But an 11th-hour bid by the Magpies has changed everything according to Darren Lewis from Mirror Football.
The Dutchman is out of contract at Goodison Park at the end of the season, and was expected to switch to East London this month.
Newcastle United could be ready to add to their ever-increasing French contingent with a move for Montpellier playmaker Remy Cabella.
According to Lee Ryder’s report in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle, the Magpies have already made contact with the struggling Ligue 1 club, but could face competition from Manchester United for the 23-year-old’s signature.
A fee of £14 million has been suggested, but Montpellier chief Louis Nicollin is understood to be open to offers for the Corsican-born midfielder.
Despite registering just one Premier League goal this season, Newcastle United striker Papiss Cisse is a wanted man according to Lee Ryder in the Evening Chronicle.
And it is a former Magpies manager who is eyeing up a deal for the Senegalese international.
West Ham United’s lack of firepower this term is well documented, and Sam Allardyce has placed Cisse on his January wish list in an effort to lead his side out of the bottom three.
As suggested in the report, any move for the 28-year-old would initially be temporary with a view to a permanent deal at the end of the current campaign.
Having dropped off the radar at Newcastle United this season, French winger Sylvain Marveaux is another player who could exit St. James’ Park this January.
The 27-year-old has made just two Premier League starts for the Magpies this term, and has fallen out of favour with Toon boss Alan Pardew.
But his first-team exile could be ended by Olympiakos, according to Lee Ryder in the Evening Chronicle.
The Greek champions made enquires about the former Rennes man during the summer, and are ready to renew their interest now that the transfer window has reopened.
Despite Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew telling Miles Starforth in The Shields Gazette that Jonas Gutierrez is still "part of our group," the Argentinian's future remains in doubt.
The international winger took another step up in his return from injury for the Toon's reserve team on Monday.
And with just two first-team outings to his name so far this season, the 30-year-old is determined to regain his place in Pardew’s starting XI over the coming weeks.
However, the former Mallorca man has an appearance-related clause in his current contract at St. James’ Park that could earn him a fresh deal, according to the Sunday People's Alan Oliver via Mirror Football.
The report indicates the club are eager to avoid such an eventuality, but with a World Cup on the horizon, Gutierrez must get some first-team football under his belt if he’s to appear for his country in Brazil.
The future of another Newcastle United winger is also unclear ahead of the January transfer window, with reports suggesting Gabriel Obertan “flounced off in a huff” after discovering he was not involved against Arsenal recently.
According to Colin Young in the Daily Mail, the 24-year-old is said to have stormed out of St. James’ Park after being told he had not made the matchday squad to face the Gunners.
The former Manchester United man has yet to make a Premier League start for the Magpies this season, and has spent the majority of the campaign on the bench.
Despite bidding £10 million for Yohan Cabaye in the summer, Arsenal will not renew their interest in the French midfielder now that the January transfer window is open.
Gunners boss Arsene Wenger ruled out a fresh move for the in-form 27-year-old in the aftermath of his team’s 1-0 win over the Magpies.
Speaking to BBC Sport, Wenger said: “On Yohan Cabaye, we don't look for a midfielder.
“We didn't have Mesut Ozil or Aaron Ramsey and we still had three good midfielders and Mikel Arteta on the bench.”
Meanwhile, speculation has mounted recently that Paris Saint-Germain could be ready to test the Toon’s resolve by making an offer for the former Lille star, with a fee of £20 million suggested by Simon Bird from Mirror Football.
It remains unclear whether Newcastle United will look to make Loic Remy’s move to St. James’ Park permanent now that the transfer window has swung open.
The French striker has been a revelation on Tyneside since arriving from Queens Park Rangers in August, netting 10 goals in 17 starts in the Premier League so far.
His switch to the Magpies, however, is a temporary one, and due to expire at the end of the season.
Jamie Redknapp—son of Rangers boss Harry Redknapp—said recently in the Daily Mail (h/t Newcastle Evening Chronicle) that any fee for the 26-year-old would be high, given Remy’s impact in the top flight this term.
Reports earlier this year suggested that a fee had been agreed between the two clubs, but Redknapp senior claimed to know nothing of such a deal, and said as much to Metro.
The player himself is also uncertain about what the future holds.
When asked about his plans by the Newcastle Evening Chronicle via Metro on new year’s eve, he said: “I’m sorry, I don’t know. At the moment I don’t know. The president of QPR may want to keep me next season.”