Browns Rookie Ausar Walcott Arrested and Charged with Attempted Murder

Tim DanielsFeatured ColumnistJune 26, 2013

Cleveland Browns rookie linebacker Ausar Walcott was charged with attempted murder after allegedly punching a man outside of a New Jersey bar early Sunday morning, Abbott Koloff of The Record reports:

Walcott, who told police he has been living with a friend in Maywood, was charged with first-degree attempted murder, second-degree aggravated assault and third degree endangering an injured victim, White said. He was arrested Tuesday morning after he turned himself in to police, and his bail was set at $500,000 cash, White said. He was scheduled to be sent to the Passaic County Jail in Paterson on Tuesday evening.


UPDATE: Thursday, June 27, at 3:54 p.m. ET by Eric Ball

Walcott has officially pleaded not guilty according to the Associated Press. The report provided more details on the victim, and on Walcott's status with bail:

A prosecutor says Jones is in a medically induced coma at a New York hospital, where he's listed in critical condition.

The 23-year-old Walcott is being represented by a public defender while he attempts to hire an attorney. He is being held on $500,000 bail. The case will now go to a grand jury.

---End of update---


UPDATE: Wednesday, June 26, at 12:45 p.m. ET by Sam Westmoreland

The Browns have released Walcott, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter:

---End of update---


*Orignial Text*

The report states the supposed incident took place at The Palace Gentlemen's Club in Passaic. The charges stem from Walcott allegedly punching a 24-year-old man, identified as Derrick Jones, in the head just after 3 a.m. on Sunday.

Walcott signed with the Browns last month after attending the team's rookie minicamp. The New Jersey native played college football at Virginia, appearing in 45 games and making 128 tackles in four years with the Cavaliers. 

Based on the latest information provided by The Record, the victim remains in critical condition at a local hospital.

The Browns chose not to comment about the ongoing legal matter, according to The Record

The Browns announced that they had signed Walcott and four other players in a posting on their website on May 13. They issued a brief statement on Tuesday afternoon saying the team was "aware of the situation."

"This is a pending legal matter and we will not comment," the statement said.

A former high school coach defended Walcott's character in the report, while noting the linebacker had recently returned in preparation for his tryout with the Browns.

Walcott’s former high school coach at Hackensack High School, Gordon Whiting, said he was "shocked" to hear that his former star player had been arrested. Whiting, who is now an assistant football coach at the high school, said Walcott had been working out at the school before his tryout with the Browns last month.

"He is a great kid, a hard-working kid," Whiting said. "He was never a discipline problem."

Given the lack of information, it's far too soon to speculate on Walcott's football future. All that's known for sure is that thee 23-year-old was arrested and faces multiple charges in connection with the weekend incident.