I am glad to see Mirko Cro Cop Filipovic is out of the octagon and back in the ring. Cro Cop fought Tatsuya Mizuno last night in DREAM 1 (DREAM Heiwa). Cro Cop knocked out Mizuno early in the fight.
It looked like the Cro Cop we were used to watching in Pride. He quickly pounced on Mizuno using an arsenal of leg kicks to Mizuno’s body, knees strikes to the head and a barrage of punches which ultimately led to Mizuno’s demise.
The fight can be seen on youtube.com, check it out you will see (I put the link on the bottom of the article.)
From the information I gathered, Mizuno is a relatively new to mixed martial arts, previously fighting in Pancrase. He lost in Pancrase to Thiago Silva and Assuerio Silva.
The rest of the DREAM card featured a lightweight grand prix. I did not view the lightweight fights as I prefer fights in the middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight weight classes.
Cro Cop was originally supposed to fight Yoshihiro Nakao, but the opponent was changed to Mizuno, only days before the event took place.
Eventhough Mizuno is not the caliber of fighter Cro Cop is used to facing it was nice to see him just dominate his opponent. Cro Cop most likely gained confidence fighting in familiar territory, in front of a Japanese crowd.
Sherdog.com is reporting that HDNet is close to signing a deal with Fight Entertainment Group to air six of their events on HDNet. The DREAM 1 debut, which was held yesterday will be one of the reported events that is scheduled to broadcast on HDNet. The next DREAM which is purportedly may be broadcast on HDNet is scheduled for April 29th.
American fighter, Eddie Alvarez continued his MMA dominance by defeating Andre Amade by TKO in the DREAM Lightweight Grand Prix opening round. Alvarez is now 13-1 overall, with his only loss coming to Nick Thompson. Alvarez will fight Japanese fighter Tatsuya Kawajiri in the second round. The second round of the grandprix is rumored to take place May 11th at the Saitama Super Arena in Japan.
DREAM 1 RESULTS
- Shinya Aoki vs Gesias Calvancante ruled a NO CONTEST due to an illegal elbow strike by Calvancante to the back of Aoki’s head
- Tatsuya Kawajiri defeats Kultar Gill via Unanimous Decision in round two
- Mitsuhiro Ishida defeats Jung Bu-Kyung via Unanimous Decision
- Katsuhiko Nagata defeats Artur Oumakhanov via Unanimous Decision
- Luiz Firmino defeats Kazuyuki Miyata via Submission in round one
- Joachim Hansen defeats Koutetsu Boku via Unanimous Decision
- Hayato Sakurai defeats Hidetaka Monmn via TKO in round one Ikuhisa Minowa defeats Lee Gwan via Submission in round one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGoscyCqjFQ (CroCop Fight)