A special "thank you" to all who participated in the 11 questions article. It's nice to know some folks are still interested in college football in the dead of winter. It was great to hear from many of the old gang as well as a number of new participants.
Now, here's the answers:
1) What head coach did Bear Bryant defeat to win his final national championship in the 1979 season Sugar Bowl? Lou Holtz. Bryant's Tide completed a 12-0 season with a 24-9 win over Holtz's Arkansas Razorbacks in the 1979 season Sugar Bowl.
2) True or False: Peyton Manning won the Heisman Trophy the same year Tennessee won the BCS championship. False. There was no BCS until the season after Peyton Manning graduated. Additionally, he never won the Heisman Trophy.
3) The Miami Hurricanes won 58 home games in a row from 1985 to 1994. What team broke that Hurricane home field winning steak in '94? The Washington Huskies, 38-20.
4) What school has produced the most current Heisman Trophy winner: Penn State, Syracuse, Iowa, South Carolina, or LSU? George Rogers of South Carolina in 1980.
5) What team did Duke play the last time the Blue Devils were in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena? Southern California. The key phrase is "in Pasadena". Many realize Duke is the only school ever to host a Rose Bowl game, three weeks after Pearl Harbor. But this question pertains to the 1938 season Rose Bowl game.
6) Who has won more BCS championships: Joe Paterno, Bear Bryant, Knute Rockne, Bud Wilkinson, or Phil Fulmer. Phil Fulmer won the first BCS title at the end of the 1998 season. Rockne, Bryant, and Wilkinson passed away before the BCS was created. Joe Paterno has never won a BCS title.
7) Only one school has produced the BCS champion and the Heisman Trophy winner in the same season. Name the school. Southern California in 2004 with Matt Leinart.
8) How many schools from the Big 12 have won the BCS championship? Who were they? Oklahoma in 2000 and Texas in 2005.
9) How many schools are in the Big Ten? How many have won the BCS championship?There are 11 teams in the Big 10 but, only Ohio State in 2002 has won the BCS.
10) Of the eight coaches listed below, only two have recorded undefeated seasons in the past. Name the two who have accomplished this and where they coach currently: Mark Richt, Nick Saban, Les Miles, Tommy Bowden, Steve Spurrier, Tommy Tuberville, Bobby Petrino, and Rick Neuheisel. Incredibly, only Tommy Tuberville and Tommy Bowden have produced undefeated seasons. Bowden at Tulane in 1998 and Tuberville at Auburn in 2004. Both men parted ways with their schools this past fall, Bowden at Clemson and Tuberville at Auburn.
11) Of the eight schools listed below, which one has the best win-loss record in their past 10 bowl games? Texas, Alabama, Southern California, Ohio State, Miami, Oklahoma, Mississippi, and Penn State. Mississippi is 8-2 in its last 10 bowl games and takes the prize with this question, hence the reason for the picture of the celebrating Rebels in the original article.
CORRECT ANSWER GUIDE
11 — Gifted Knowledge
9 or 10 — Special College Football History Fan
7 or 8 — Probably An Avid Fan
5 or 6 — You Are Average
3 or 4 — Probably In It For The Tailgate Parties
1 or 2 — Thinks Football Is Soccer
0 — OUT!
So, how did you do? Looks like everyone scored very well! What did you expect? This is the Bleacher Report, where there is no substitute for knowledge.