Manchester United Transfer News: Are United out of the Race for Lucas Moura?
Manchester United could well be out of the race for Brazilian sensation and transfer target Lucas Moura with the price placed on the youngster believed to be too high for the Red Devils.
Sir Alex Ferguson had made the 19-year-old one of the club's top targets for the transfer window—sending a delegation party to Brazil to try and wrap up a deal with him in order for him to join United in time for the upcoming English Premier League season.
However, Moura's current club, Sao Paulo, are determined to hold on to the midfielder. The Daily Mail has reported that the club will do all they can to keep him for next season.
"It is a risk not selling Lucas, but we are going to take it..."
With that statement from president Juvenal Juvencio, it appears that only an extraordinary bid is likely to attract interest from the club.
Manchester United would have to go "all-in" if they were to land Moura—something they're unlikely to do unless Moura himself sacrifices some of his player wages.
Greg Stobart of Goal.com highlights the potential sacrifice from the teenager that could benefit the Red Devils:
Lucas' club own just 80 per cent of his economic rights - with the player himself holding the remaining 20% - and, should the 19-year-old be willing to forgo his cut of a fee, he could be available for below his market worth.
United, who face stiff competition for the player’s signature from the likes of Inter and Real Madrid, are understood to have made contact with Lucas through third parties but have been put off by his extravagant £110,000-a-week wage demands.
If United were to secure Moura's services for next season, they would most likely have to offer an amount somewhere in the vicinity of £25 million.
As shown through the recent signing of Eden Hazard to Chelsea, United simply don't go "all-in" on one player.
I simply cannot see them offering £25 million for a 19-year-old midfielder. They must be incredibly careful not to overpay for a player who's future is still only based on potential.
He no doubt has talent that would dazzle the Premier League, but he isn't worth the money required to bring him to Old Trafford next season.
At just 19, he is a player for the future and one of the brightest prospects in world football; I just don't think he's worth anything more than £20 million.
Not yet, anyway.
Is Lucas Moura worth spending big for?
Comment below or hit me up on Twitter: Follow @dantalintyre
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?