Just two days after being released from the UFC following a loss to C.B. Dollaway at UFC 146, Jason "Mayhem" Miller announced on The MMA Hour that he has retired from the sport of mixed martial arts.
From MMA reporter Jason Floyd:
Jason "Mayhem" Miller is currently on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani and he says he is retired #MMA
— Jason Floyd (@Jason_Floyd) May 28, 2012
Asked if he was leaving the door open or slamming it shut, Miller, after a long pause, said that he might as well slam it shut.
True to his alias, Mayhem's career has been all over the place in recent years. The veteran Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioner has bounced around several promotions, including Dream, Strikeforce and the UFC.
Since 2008, Miller has gone 4-4 with one no contest in his last nine fights. The biggest headline he made during this time was through inciting a brawl at a Strikeforce event in 2010.
He was given a second run in the UFC last year, when he was given a coaching stint on The Ultimate Fighter reality show opposite fellow middleweight Michael Bisping.
Those two helped put together one of the more entertaining seasons to date, but Miller did not impress when it came time to face Bisping in the Octagon. An out-of-shape Miller managed to extend the fight into the third round, but he was ultimately put away in convincing fashion.
Thankfully for Mayhem, he had another fight left on his contract and his namesake was enough to warrant another fight with the UFC.
Miller was put in the cage with Dollaway at UFC 146 and never really looked right from the start. He alluded to having some knee problems in his interview, but he didn't go into great detail. His mysterious injury may have played some role in his decision today.
For now, we are all left to speculate and reflect on one of the more fascinating characters to come out of mixed martial arts.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!