South Carolina Football: Next Potential Commitments for the Gamecocks
South Carolina has seen its commitment list increase in recent months and they could be in line for a few more in the coming weeks.
Right now, South Carolina has eight verbal commitments and finds themselves ranked number 16 in the 247Sports.com and in the top 25 for recruiting class rankings for the class of 2013. Recruiting has played a major role in reshaping the Gamecocks' program over the last few years. The coaches at South Carolina hope to continue their momentum in this next cycle.
Several key players are left on the board for the Gamecocks right now. This is a slideshow showing a few players who could become the next to commit to South Carolina.
No. 1 ATH Pharoh Cooper
South Carolina could have themselves a Pharoh on their team next year.
Pharoh Cooper, an athlete from Havelock, North Carolina, has a chance to become the next Gamecock within a few weeks. Cooper was placed on commitment watch after favoring the Gamecocks following an unofficial visit in late March.
Right now, there are three schools that have stepped forward with an offer: South Carolina, East Carolina and N.C. State.
Because he is such a good athlete, Cooper has the versatility to play on both sides of the ball. South Carolina will more than likely keep him on the defensive side of the ball. It looks like they want him to play corner and Cooper seems capable of handling that position in college.
The speed is there for Cooper as well. He looks dangerous with the ball in his hands and could possibly help on special teams.
This is a player who could commit at any time in the near future so South Carolina will certainly keep an eye on him and see where he goes.
Cooper is a three-star recruit and is 5'11" and weighs 181 pounds.
No. 2 QB Connor Mitch
The Gamecocks already have one Connor on campus at the quarterback position and hope to land another shortly.
Connor Mitch has become one of the top prep quarterbacks in the 2013 recruiting cycle and GA Mangus, Steve Spurrier and the rest of the staff have made him a priority.
Mitch recently saw his star rating bump up to four-stars on the 247Sports.com recruiting rankings. The Gamecocks are the public leader for the 6'3" and 220-pound quarterback. His offer list continues to grow. Schools such as Auburn, Alabama, LSU and North Carolina have extended offers to Mitch.
South Carolina hasn't landed that highly-rated quarterback under Steve Spurrier, besides Stephen Garcia, but Connor Mitch might be the guy for the Gamecocks in the future.
A commitment from Mitch could come in a few weeks. He could end up being one of the headline recruits for South Carolina in 2013.
**UPDATE**: Connor Mitch committed to South Carolina Tuesday evening. Mitch plans to end his recruiting now and not entertain any other schools at this time. He looks to be an early enrollee for South Carolina.
No. 3 LB Matt Rolin
It's easy to see why the Gamecocks want Matt Rolin on their team.
Just watch the first play in this highlight video.
Rolin, a four-star linebacker out of Virginia, has a big frame and big hitting ability that should translate well in college. He has garnered a ton of interest from some of the top colleges but the main schools in the running here are South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Florida and Georgia.
Make no mistake about it: South Carolina is the leader here.
The Gamecocks have the family connection here with several family members attending the university along with his grandfather playing there as well. They initially offered him a position at tight end but then came back and told him he could play linebacker as well.
Virginia Tech is the main competitor to South Carolina. Rolin has an older brother currently playing for Virginia Tech so the allure of playing with his brother must be appealing. Virginia Tech is a successful program and is known for its tough defense.
A summer decision could be likely for this future Under Armour All-American. He could make a return trip to Columbia over the summer and, who knows, could possibly commit while in town.
South Carolina has a lot to like about their chances with Matt Rolin.
Other Potential Recruits for the Gamecocks
Streeter Lecka/Getty Images
Here are several other recruits who could be on commitment watch over the next several months.
- WR Mike Williams - 6'4" 205 pound wide receiver from Lake Marion, South Carolina. Williams is a big wide receiver expected to stay in-state and South Carolina looks to be the favorite here but will have to battle Clemson for his services.
- OG Lucas Crowley - 6'3" 270 pound center/guard from Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. Crowley can play either inside position on the offensive line and is favoring the Gamecocks right now.
- OG Kyle Schafenacker - 6'4" 290 pound guard from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Schafenacker has offers from USC and SMU and the Gamecocks have to be the favorite here. If South Carolina wants him, they could land a commitment from Schafenacker.
- WR Corey Cooper - 6'1" 190 pound wide receiver from Raleigh, North Carolina. Cooper is picking up interest from a lot of schools but South Carolina was recently named a big leader. The Gamecocks hope to use him in the slot receiver position if they are able to secure a commitment.
- RB T.J. Logan - 5'11" 165 pound running back from Greensboro, North Carolina. Logan is a smaller back with the ability to line up in several different places on offense. He's got offers from the big schools in North Carolina but the Gamecocks stand a good chance at landing him if they want him.
These are just a few of the players who could potentially commit to South Carolina in the near future. Recruiting is cyclical and these young athletes can change their mind from one day to the next. Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to recruiting.
South Carolina should finish with another Top 25 recruiting class and their work in the coming months could help solidify another great class for the Gamecocks.