Tuesday Moring Running Back Week 16: Colts Pass On Perfection
If you're crazy for the Colts, I can understand if you feel cheated.
At least on paper the odds were in your favor to see your team run the table in the regular season.
However, when the second stringers came in, everything unraveled.
Rookie Curtis Painter visibly struggled, completing only 11 passes for 44 yards and turning the ball over twice.
In short, the Jets stout defense had a field day with him.
So you still think you got cheated out of a perfect season?
Why don't we look at this from the Colts perspective?
The answer as to why Jim Caldwell did what he did is quite simple really.
He had nothing left to prove
The Colts have already locked up home field advantage throughout the playoffs and coasted to a division title.
Most importantly, you don't win any special award for having a perfect regular season.
Thus, it is more important to have a fresh team ready to go in the playoffs than it is to try for a perfect regular season.
Put another way, a championship season with any record is more valuable than running the regular season table and coming up short in the playoffs.
Just ask the Patriots.
There is no loyalty to other teams in the NFL.
Yes the Colts could have helped you out with a win and kept the Jets out of the party, but they chose not to, because it didn't directly impact them, and they'd rather be rested for the playoffs.
So sorry if you feel shafted, your teams are likely home bound after next Sunday.
Quite simply, I agree with Coach Caldwell's decision, and I'm thankful that Mercury Morris can go back into hiding.
Elsewhere in week 16 action:
- Add the Broncos to the list of teams who could eventually feel the effects of the Colts loss. They blew their chance to control their destiny too.
- If the Broncos don't end up making the postseason, the name Jeremy Maclin may be cursed in Denver forever. That was a great catch.
- If anything, the final Giants game at Giants Stadium will be remembered for a horrific effort. by the defense line. The Panthers basically ran the Giants out of the stadium and the playoff picture.
- Thank you Dallas, your domination of the Redskins has made your tilt with the Eagles a lot more interesting to the casual fan.
- I hope Santa didn't put a pink slip in Jim Zorn's stocking Thursday night.
- Memo to the Steelers: The recent fourth quarter mojo you've gotten should have been used sooner.
- It was a bittersweet victory for the Bengals. They made the playoffs, but it was obvious the memory of Chris Henry was still fresh in their minds.
- Kudos to the Packers for shrugging off a bad season last year and overcoming a mediocre start this year to make the playoffs.
- The Saints should finish the season with a win to erase the stigma of the last two losses and gain momentum for the playoffs.
- Call me crazy, but the Patriots thrashing of the Jaguars was the best all around game they've had all year.
- I'll be honest with you, the Texans offense is ready for the playoffs, but their defense is extremely suspect, especially because almost blow a 27-point lead to Miami.
- Who would have ever thought the Kurt Warner would still be good enough to throw 100 touchdown passes for two teams even a year ago?
- Frank Gore is an under appreciated running back in the NFL. He's compiled four straight 1000-yard season while playing on a losing team.
- Congratulations Eric Mangini, your current three-game winning streak may have saved your hide if you know what I mean.
- Have a fun New Year's weekend, but stay safe. I'll talk to you next week.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?