Eagles Defeat Redskins

Daniel KablackCorrespondent IIINovember 20, 2009

LANDOVER, MD - OCTOBER 26:  DeSean Jackson #10 of the Philadelphia Eagles runs with the ball for a 67 yard touchdown in the first quarter of the game against the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field October 26, 2009 in Landover, Maryland. The Eagles won the game 27-17.  (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)
Win McNamee/Getty Images

On Monday night in front of a national audience, the Philadelphia Eagles wanted to punish the Redskins to avenge a loss against the Raiders last week. Did they?

The answer is... No.

The Eagles ended up winning the game 27-17, but they did not put up the performance that many may have expected, or came to expect after watching the first quarter.

From the third play from scrimmage by the Eagles, a WR end-around to DeSean Jackson resulted in a 67 yard TD run by the speedy second-year receiver. Many fans looking on figured this one would turn out in a blow-out with the Eagles the resulting victors. Throughout the game Donovan McNabb was fairly on target, completing over 60% of his passes as he went on to reach his career 200th TD pass and passed the 30,000 yard passing mark.

The game was also filled with injuries on both sides of the ball. In the first half, Brian Westbrook was injured on a rush up the middle, with a knee to the back of the head, knocking him unconscious. He was removed from the game with a concussion and at this point is questionable for next weeks game. Washington's Chris Cooley injured his right ankle and never returned to the game.

Jason Campbell had another mediocre day, with 1:44 left in the 1st quarter, he threw up a pass  intended for Santana Moss, which was intercepted by Eagles LB Will Witherspoon for a 9 yard interception touchdown return. This put the Eagles up 14-0 at the end of the 1st.

Still in the first half, J. Campbell finally got on point, throwing a 2 yard TD pass to second-year Michigan man, D. Thomas to bring the deficit to 17-7.  As the quarter went on the Eagles moved down the field and ended up kicking a 44 yard FG on the drive. The next Redskins drive ended up in a punt and McNabb and the offense looked good as he threw a long, hanging 57 yard pass to the WR Jackson for a TD. The Eagles went up 27-7 and the game began to look like a blowout.

Half-time closed the score at 27-10 Philadelphia.

The Redskins seemed to make some defensive adjustments during the half-time break. The third quarter would see no scoring by either team as every drive ended up in a punt. This would continue on until late in the fourth quarter as J. Campbell connected with F. Davis for a 1 yard TD to bring the Redskins to a ten point deficit with just under two minutes remaining in the game. The Redskins would attempt an onside kick but would fail to get it past the 40 yard line and the Eagles ended the game on a kneel.

 Daniel Kablack is editor of mySportsChat.com


Michael Vick would see very limited action in this game throwing one pass for 5 yards and three rushes for 9 yards all together.