Hull City Become The New Greatest Club Side in The World

Barney CorkhillSenior Writer IOctober 3, 2009

HULL, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 03:  Geovanni of Hull City celebrates his goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Hull City and Wigan Athletic at KC Stadium on October 3, 2009 in Hull, England.  (Photo by Jamie McDonald/Getty Images)

Barney Corkhill's Unofficial World Club Championship (UWCC) witnessed another defence today as newly crowned champions Wigan took on Hull City at the KC Stadium.

Wigan had shocked the country with their 3-1 win over Chelsea last weekend, ending the Blues' 100 percent record in the process. Roberto Martinez knew, however, that it was consistency that was important, and the win over Chelsea would mean very little without a result to back it up.

Hull, on the other hand, had met a big four team of their own. Their 6-1 defeat to Liverpool equalled their worst ever loss in the Premier League, which happened to be against Wigan.

Phil Brown was experiencing a tough 2009, with just two wins so far, and Hull were already beginning to prepare for a relegation dogfight.

Despite their woeful recent form, however, it was Hull who got the win and became the new UWCC Champions, running out 2-1 victors in the end.

Hull had the better of the opening exchanges as they looked to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and make a strong start.

Nick Barmby latched on to Stephen Hunt's cross and his shot deflected off Maynor Figueroa, prompting claims of handball from the home support. The referee waved play on, much to the chagrin of Phil Brown.

Dean Marney should have done better with a shot that was straight at Kirkland, but Hull were well and truly in the driving seat.

Eventually, Wigan woke up and started creating chances of their own. Mohamed Diame forced a fine save out of Boaz Myhill, who followed it up by smothering the ball at the feet of Jason Scotland.

Scotland came close again soon after, but his shot trickled just wide.

Hull responded with a chance of their own. Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink rose to head the ball towards goal, but it just drifted past the right hand post.

Kamil Zayatte had a chance to break the deadlock just before the interval, but his header went the wrong side of the post as far as Hull were concerned.

In an entertaining game with a fair amount of chances, there was a distinct lack of cutting edge in front of goal during the first-half, something Wigan looked to put an end to as they came out flying in the second half.

Maynor Figueroa and Paul Scharner both had efforts that flew past the post within a minute of each other as the Latics looked to gain a lead they could then protect. Diame was then denied a great chance by a last ditch challenge by Paul McShane.

Hull came close themselves through Zayatte's close range strike before the dealock was finally broken.

Vennegoor of Hesselink had had a sighter earlier on in the match, and on the hour mark he used his head again to steer the ball past Kirkland before running off to celebrate his first goal for the club.

While Wigan had been the team looking most likely to score before, the goal seemed to take all the fight out of them, and Geovanni doubled Hull's lead eight minutes later.

Hull looked to be cruising to a rare victory until Scott Sinclair got a late goal to set up an exciting finale, which the Tigers eventually managed to resist.

The result means that Hull are the new UWCC Champions, and that Wigan become the first club to have lost the title on their very first defence.

39.3 percent of people in the poll correctly predicted that Hull would beat Wigan to win the UWCC title, so well done to the minority!


Hull's run

Hull City 2-1 Wigan Athletic (Hull become new champions)


(Click here to see the complete history of Barney Corkhill's Unofficial World Club Championship)


Hull's first title defence comes in Monday, 19 October as they travel to West London to take on former champions Fulham. Can Fulham once again become the greatest team in the world?!