Sorry for being away from Bleacher Report for so long, but the reason is I got asked to do a Jets blog and shifted my main focus to the blog.
Check it out at: http://www.nfltouchdown.com/category/new-york-jets/
While looking through some NFL rumors, I stumbled upon and interesting trade on yahoo sports: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Browns-Edwards-to-Jets-for-RB-Thomas-Jones-;_ylt=ArGA4RtltyArhHuU4vYy3wyEzdEF?urn=nfl,161215
If you're too lazy to click on the link, it's about the possibility of a trade between the Browns and the Jets, with Cleveland sending Braylon Edwards to New York for Thomas Jones.
Jones and the Jets have a lot of tension going because Jones is being a crybaby and saying he isn't getting paid enough. It's exactly what he did in the offseason with the Bears before the Bears traded him to the Jets.
The Jets are also in search of a wide receiver after releasing Laveranues Coles, who had a case of the drops last year.
So should the Jets make this trade?
Part of me is saying, "YES, LETS DO IT!!!" The other part of me is saying, "WHAT ARE YOU NUTS, DON’T DO IT!!!"
There are two legit arguments to this trade from a Jet fan stand point. Let's look at the pros and cons.
- Getting rid of a player who is demanding a new contract, which can lead to tension in the locker room.
- Thomas Jones has turned 30 which means the beginning of the end for most running backs, such as Shaun Alexander, Edgerrin James, etc.
- We are getting another good target for Mark Sanchez/Kellen Clemens to throw to at wide receiver instead of putting some inexperienced players in that spot like David Clowney or Chansi Stuckey.
- Rookie Shonne Greene, backup for Thomas Jones, has been impressing head coach Rex Ryan, saying stuff such as:
- “He hits that hole and you say, ‘Man, that’s a big man coming through there.' He runs low. He’s a big ol’ rascal.”
- “I love the way guys bounce off him.”
- “He comes rolling in there, guys are going flying. Guys are trying to tag him. His teammate went flying today, bounced off him.”
I can’t really explain the Cons in bullet format.
Thomas Jones is a huge part of the offense, he was the leading rusher in the AFC last season! If we get rid of him we are relying on Shonne Greene to step up and take the load. That is a big responsibility for a rookie running back, and not every rookie running back is going to turn out like Matt Forte or Chris Johnson.
So if Greene fails, the Jets' offense will fail. Then we are out of an every down back and then the QB/RB balance gets thrown off and who ever will start at QB will suffer.
So do I want this trade rumor to come through: No.
I want Braylon Edwards, but Thomas Jones seems like too big of a risk to trade.
Especially now with two inexperienced quarterbacks competing for the starting job. And again without the QB/RB balance, a quarterback will fail or not succeed as much as he could without a good running back.
But again there is another side is telling me, "Lets do it! BRAYLON TO THE JETS!"
Only time will tell if this trade gets done.
What do you guys think about the trade?
Let me know what you think and again check out my new Jets blog, where you can find this article and much more!