2011 French OpenDownload App

Wordy Retorts: Rafael Nadal, Robin Soderling, Maria Sharapova and Andy Murray

PARIS, FRANCE - JUNE 02:  Francesca Schiavone of Italy hits a forehand during the women's singles semi final match between Marion Bartoli of France and Francesca Schiavone of Italy on day twelve of the French Open at Roland Garros on June 2, 2011 in Paris, France.  (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)
Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
Linus FernandesAnalyst IIMay 29, 2016

What she said:

“Or you are a big, big talent or now you can find 28 or 30 years old, and they use experience, they use body, mind. So for young player is much tougher now than before.”

Francesca Schiavone makes it clear that in the battle between youth and experience, the older players have the upper hand.

What she really meant:

“Body, mind and spirit together with experience makes for a formidable combination.”

What she definitely didn’t:

“I’ll hand you a walkover because you’re younger than me.”

“Patience is the key when you play Rafa.”

Andy Murray believes it’s going to be a long, drawn-out semi-final encounter against Rafael Nadal.

Andy Murray: Here for the long haul
Andy Murray: Here for the long haulAlex Livesey/Getty Images

What he really meant:“Patience is a virtue, virtue is a grace, both put together can help me beat Rafa.”

What he definitely didn’t:“Let’s just get this over with.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________

What she said:

“But, you know, good retail therapy and I’ll be fine."

Maria Sharapova intends to go shopping to cheer herself  up after losing her semi-final against Li Na.

Maria Sharapova
Maria SharapovaAlex Livesey/Getty Images

What she really meant:“Some consolation, a stroll down Champs-Élysées.”

What she definitely didn’t:“I wonder if the Coupe Suzanne Lenglen is available at a discount.”

What she said:

“We’ve done this for almost all our lives, so we feel like we’re on this sort of hamster carousel and we just keep going.I think that’s why it feels like every year we come back and like: ‘Oh, nothing changes’, and next year you come back, ‘Oh, nothing changes’.

Same old same press conference room, same court, same people. That makes you feel old."

Maria Sharapova sympathises with Rafael Nadal’s statement that he feels like he’s been on the tour for “100 years”.

What she really meant:

“You think you remember me? See, I recall you too and you’re boring.”

What she definitely didn’t:

“Just call me ‘Shareapova’”

“Against the world No. 1, you never expect anyone to play bad.I mean, it would be pretty stupid.”

Robin Soderling claims that Rafael Nadal’s bad-mouthing his own form had no impact on his level of play against the World No.1.

What he really meant:

“Come on , we all know how modest Nadal really is. Do you really think I’d play terrible just because he says he’s not up to par?”

What he definitely didn’t:

Robin Soderling: Not bad
Robin Soderling: Not badAlex Livesey/Getty Images

“I’m bad, I’m bad.

Cause I run UPT.
(Bad bad-really, really bad)
You know I’m bad, I’m bad.
You know it.
(Bad bad-really, really bad)
You know I’m bad, I’m bad.
Cause I run UPT, you know.
(Bad bad-really, really bad)
And the whole world has to
answer right now
Just to tell you once again,
Who’s bad…” (Michael Jackson’s ‘Bad’.)

“I have almost 25 (years).But seems like I am playing for 100 years."

Rafael Nadal complains about the non-stop nature of the ATP tour.

What he really meant:

“The tour goes on and on and I feel really old, like a grandfather to you all.”

What he definitely didn’t:

“I want to play tennis professionally for 100 years or more.”

Also read: Tennis Talk

Reproduced from: MakeTimeForSports

Quote of the day:
A poet who reads his verse in public may have other nasty habits. - Robert Heinlein

Where can I comment?

Stay on your game

Latest news, insights, and forecasts on your teams across leagues.

Choose Teams
Get it on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Real-time news for your teams right on your mobile device.

Download
Copyright © 2017 Bleacher Report, Inc. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved. BleacherReport.com is part of Bleacher Report – Turner Sports Network, part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Network. Certain photos copyright © 2017 Getty Images. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of Getty Images is strictly prohibited. AdChoices